Re: sorghum rum batches

  • waljaco
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
      "The closest relative of sugarcane is sorghum, from which sugarcane ancestors may have diverged only 5 million years ago."

      Sweet sorghum has some advantages over sugarcane for ethanol production, unless you live in a high rainfall area.

      Rumbullion perhaps?
      wal

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Again Chris, that´s not rum. You need molasses or sugar cane juice to called it rum. Please check the following link, this people just do what you want.
      >
      > http://madisondistillery.com/Queen_Jennie.html
      >
      > Alex

    • Jim Haller
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011

        I lived in China for most of three years and was introduced to their “whiskey” made from sorghum.  Check out the website for more history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maotai ). Although they call it a wine, it is definitely a distilled spirit.  I have one bottle of Maotai at home that is 68% abv. This is what they traditionally use to toast each other during special dinners with friends and tend to do way too many toasts. It is very strong and has an aftertaste that will stay with you for several days.  I hope your venture produces a product free from these strong, lingering flavors.

      • Chris Jude
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
          Yes, we grow the sorghum, harvest and crush the cane stalks to get the juice.  Most of it we cook down to Sorghum Syrup, and some of the juice we ferment.  This year we grew Dale and Sugar Drip, both older varieties.  The cane is typically from 12-16 feet tall, and about 1-2" in diameter.  We use an old, tractor pto belt powered three roller press to crush the juice, and a large stainless evaporator pan to cook the syrup.
          Here is a good source for seeds:

          On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM, hugh harnett <hugh.harnett@...> wrote:

          Hi Chris,

          I am really intrigued by the sorghum syrup, do you grow the sorghum yourself?

          The varieties we grow here in South Africa, are a lot shorter than the pictures I saw when I googled sorghum syrup. If you are growing it yourself, what variety of sorghum are you using?

          Thanks

          Hugh

        • hugh harnett
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
            Thanks Chris,

            Looking forward to making sorghum rum next year!