Re: sorghum rum batches

  • Alex Castillo
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
      Probably the term "rum" for sorghum (which is a grain) is not very apropriate; instead, probably whiskey matches better.

      Alex
    • Chris Jude
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2011
        Alex,
        Sorry I wasn't more clear.  I'm using the juice from Sweet Sorghum, which is used to make Sorghum Syrup, similar to molasses from Sugar Cane.  I'm not using the grain.  So I would call this sorghum rum.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
          Again Chris, that´s not rum. You need molasses or sugar cane juice to called it rum. Please check the following link, this people just do what you want.

          http://madisondistillery.com/Queen_Jennie.html

          Alex
        • Chris Jude
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
            Thanks for the link Alex, Madison Distillery looks pretty great.
            I'm not intending to start a naming conventions thread, but calling this product whiskey doesn't make sense to me.
            Whiskey is made from grains, and what I'm making is from the juice of a crushed grass, very similar to sugar cane.  I'm not trying to say that it is rum, but it's much more like rum than a whiskey.
            Actually, it's interesting to me that there isn't a tradition of making liquor from sorghum cane in the southeast.  We know there were plenty of stills, and plenty of folks making sorghum syrup.

            Anyway, i'd be interested in if anyone has some input on my original questions, about the heat and spiciness of the distillate.  I've also noticed at certain parts of the run a blue cloudiness in the product.  It tends to go away between jars.

            thanks

            On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Alex Castillo <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

            Again Chris, that´s not rum. You need molasses or sugar cane juice to called it rum. Please check the following link, this people just do what you want.

            http://madisondistillery.com/Queen_Jennie.html

            Alex

          • geoff burrows
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
              Hi Chris,
              If you're looking names here's one
              The French way to spell Rum is : Le Rhume with an "h" in the middle of it
              So you could call it : Sorgrhume ? or  Le Rhume de Sorg
              You are more or less saying it's the rum of the sorghum
              It looks and sounds real fancy on a bottle
              And I think it would read really good labeled up like that

                                                 Le Rhume de Sorg
            • hugh harnett
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
                Hi Chris,

                I am really intrigued by the sorghum syrup, do you grow the sorghum yourself?

                The varieties we grow here in South Africa, are a lot shorter than the pictures I saw when I googled sorghum syrup. If you are growing it yourself, what variety of sorghum are you using?

                Thanks

                Hugh

              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
                  "The closest relative of sugarcane is sorghum, from which sugarcane ancestors may have diverged only 5 million years ago."

                  Sweet sorghum has some advantages over sugarcane for ethanol production, unless you live in a high rainfall area.

                  Rumbullion perhaps?
                  wal

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

                  > Again Chris, that´s not rum. You need molasses or sugar cane juice to called it rum. Please check the following link, this people just do what you want.
                  >
                  > http://madisondistillery.com/Queen_Jennie.html
                  >
                  > Alex

                • Jim Haller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011

                    I lived in China for most of three years and was introduced to their “whiskey” made from sorghum.  Check out the website for more history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maotai ). Although they call it a wine, it is definitely a distilled spirit.  I have one bottle of Maotai at home that is 68% abv. This is what they traditionally use to toast each other during special dinners with friends and tend to do way too many toasts. It is very strong and has an aftertaste that will stay with you for several days.  I hope your venture produces a product free from these strong, lingering flavors.

                  • Chris Jude

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 7, 2011
                        Thanks Chris,

                        Looking forward to making sorghum rum next year!