Re: [new_distillers] Tank and Reflux tower

  • leeham collins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
      dont no if you will need the strip heater on the tower
      that might mess up the reflux maybe put it under the pot and turn
      it off if u have to

      the idea of using the cut up copper cable as packing is ok
      but it will get awful dirty from the wash and i reckon stainless steel
      would be better
      pot scrubbers dont pack down to tight
      and the steel balls or cutings might

      and 40 gallon is one hell of a pot
      u will only need to distill once a year (hahaha)

      when u are just starting out it might be better to use a smaller pot
      so if u mess up the fermentation or distilling you
      have not lost so much spirt!!!!!

      ----------
      > From: goldenshine65802@...
      > To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [new_distillers] Tank and Reflux tower
      > Date: Sunday, January 28, 2001 1:14
      >
      > Hello every one, recently I was able to access allot of 304 12 gauge s.s.
      sheet metal,304 s.s.pipes,pumps,inserts and s.s. strip heaters, digital and
      manual thermostats,ciruits,electrical wiring,fuses and heavy gauge twisted
      pure copper cable,all considered scrap,obsolete or junk, for free. to me as
      a welder and a home brewer this was quite a wind fall. So what I built was
      a 40 gallon square tank,a 4ft.x4in.reflux tower and a 5ft.x2in. cooler and
      drip filter. The Pump is a 60gpm 110v pump I use it to transfer my mash
      from my fermenter to my tank.the pump has been coated inside with teflon,so
      no problem there.The two s.s. strip heaters are 500wt.one will go under the
      tank and the other I pland to mount on the tower. The insert heater is a
      4500wt. heater, I will most likely change that out to a 1200 or a 1000wt.
      the copper cable I plan on using as filler for my tower, by cutting and
      untwisting the wire and making small balls out of the heavy gauge copper
      wire.So the question is!