Activated carbon quantity and procedure

  • Matthew Rick
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2011
      About to begin producing my first batch. Going to start with vodka and gin, both will likely be infused. Trying to determine how much activated carbon to use per gallon since I can't seem to find any consistent information yet. I'm sure it'll vary a bit depending on how much refining I'd like to do but can anyone provide a general rule of thumb? Also, trying to decide whether its a good idea to filter the carbon using a plate filter that I've normally used for winemaking. Uses paper filters (any micron suggestions? I'm thinking I'll likely go all the way to sterile filtration which is about 0.5 micron). I plan to let the majority of it settle and only filter the likely much lesser amount that is still suspended...shouldn't saturate the filter too early I think....

      Any help is much appreciated so our first batch is a success! Thanks in advance.