Blue Wash

  • gavinflett
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
      I need help. I have a very blue distillate coming out and it smells like amonia. I used a turbo yeast pack to do the wash and did everything right.

      The wash before this was done with EC-1118 and this did not happen.

      Can anyone tell me what I need to do to rectify the blue wash?

      Can it be saved, or is it FUBAR?
    • Gavin Flett
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
        Dave, are you talking about adding the lemon juice to the wash that has finished fermenting and ready for distilling?

        Not the wash that is still fermenting, correct?

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: bbmdave@...
        Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:44:34 -0800
        Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: Blue Wash

        Hi, this has worked for me in the past. Cool everything down, add concentrated lemon juice
        the amount depends on the PH and quantity , for mine I add about 950 ml (that's a bottle not those
        small squeezer things), to a 15 gal keg.
        Depending on how much nutrient you used you may need more. your wash should be a little on the acid side
        citric acid will work too.
        Good luck
        Dave

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
          I guess what I am meaning to say Dave is that, can I redistill the blue wash by just adding lemon juice and have it come out amonia free?

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

          Did anyone get my previous post? It read something like,

          My distillate is coming out blue with an amonia smell to it.

          Why is this happening?

          Can I fix it during the run?

          Is the alcohol salvageable?

          How is this prevented?

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

          > Now my wash is not blue anymore, but it still has an amonia smell to it (this is all after collecting 600ml).
          >
          > Is the amonia going to stop coming out?
          >
          > Can any of this be salvagable?

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
            Yes, to the wash that you started to distill,
            for the ones that you are fermenting  you will have to wait.

            I am shooting in the dark here I don't know how you made your wash,what size it is,
            or how big your still is.or what kind of still it is.
            Check out the info  here  http://homedistiller.org

            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
              Yes

              To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
                Well I'm not really a rookie, this is my 70ish something batch, but most of my experience is in Whiskey and Rum. So it's not a problem with any of the new guy stuff.

                I used a Turbo pack for this, the sugar wash I made before worked out just fine with EC-1118.

                Now this happened to me about 2 years ago with a sugar wash, but not nearly to the same scale as this one. This is a MAJOR contamination of a wash. I stripped 2 20L sugar washes in my pot still, then ran them both through again using a reflux column, I did notice the blue coming out in the tails on the stripping runs, and in retrospect I should have made the cut there but I am used to the blue being fusel oils, not bloody poison.

                I have another batch going right now using the same brand of Turbo and I added about 600ml of OJ to each of them to drop the Ph down to 5.1. I hope that was the right move (from what I read on net it is)

                P.S. 30L still, copper

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
                  Thanks Dave...

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  From: bbmdave@...
                  Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:25:31 -0800

                  Yes

                  To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 22, 2011
                    Everyone disregard, this was my original post that somehow got lost in cyberspace