RE: [new_distillers] Water loss from oak barrel

  • Gavin Flett
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2011
      I have several 5L barrels and none of them have had that happen, although I have experience other problems. But I would definitely say that something with the barrel is not right. it could be the stays are not milled well and are leaking, or perhaps the wood is just too think. You should expect about 6mm of saturation over time from the inside out. I am not experienced enough to advise you on whether a wax coating would be ok or not though. One thing that I do know though, the barrel needs to breathe somehow in order for the aging process to work.

      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: mronayne@...
      Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 13:23:30 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] Water loss from oak barrel

      I bought a 5 gal charred oak barrel from barrelsonline and have enough sweet feed whiskey to begin aging.
      I have kept the barrel filled with water since I got it about 2 months ago.
      While it never has leaked (i.e., no drops of water have ever come out of the joints), the water level continues to drop at the rate about about 0.5 oz/day.
      About 3 weeks ago, some of the staves started to darken from saturation.
      Now, about 75 percent of the barrel surface is darkened and moist to the touch.
      My theory is that the initial water loss was from saturation of the wood and now it is from evaporation of water from the moist surface.
      I'm wondering if I have a barrel with bad (too porous) wood.
      I contacted barrelsonline but have not gotten a reply from them.
      Has anyone had this happen before?
      Could application of a light coat of barrel wax help?

      Thanks in advance
      KY Scotch Lover