Re: [new_distillers] Milk Can Kettle isn't airtight.

  • Adam Fordham
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011

      The material the gasket is made out may have chemicals that are unsafe. You can try cork but it needs to be 100 percent cork. Paste made from wheat germ and flour and water is another option. Flour tortillas would work to.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
        Hi Scott,
             Cork at the end of the day is the thick bark of a tree, a porous fibrous and organic woody material.
        So when a woody material is immersed in a very hot steamy alcohol environment (like in your boiler) for a prolonged time period it becomes very porous and pliable unless it's kept under very tight pressure (how do you think they make those nice round topped walking canes)?  in a wood steamer.
             Ideally for a cork seal to work in that situation it needs to be used once and tightened down with nuts and bolts (like a cork seal on a car water pump to the cylinder head situation).
             Why do you think they have a regular turnover of cork gasket sets (hanging on pegs behind a counter for quick and frequent access) at car accessory stores.  They start to frig up when used more than once.  So what do they know that doesn't seem to be common public knowledge?  they leak when used more than once.
             There has been great discussion on this forum  and our sister forum the "Distillers" forum about chemicals of different types and grades in builders silicon sealant.  Go to the message section on the forum web page and type in "silicon sealant" on the message bar and read every thing.(there's a lot there)
             I used fish aquarium silicon sealant in 2005 to seal my churn lid and electric elements and it's still going strong not even a hint of a leak.  If it's good enough for fishy it's good enough for me
        Geoff