Greetings from another new distiller!

  • dittu_95
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2011
      Hey everybody!
      I am really glad to have found this chatroom---I've never tried one out before. My interest in distilling started about a month ago, when I tried to distil alcohol from sugar---not to drink, but as a fuel---you know, to run generators, or engines---to make some home made electricity.
      My little project, is now to make cheap alcohol fuel from potatoes, and rice.
      If anybody could tell me how much alcohol I can expect from sugar, rice and potatoes, it would really help me to know how efficient my alcohol production is.
      Ofcourse, I am an amateur,I have got a lot of reading to do, my current knowledge is pretty primitive, and I am working on that.
      I understand there is a long way to go, and it takes years of practice and experience to become a master brewer. But I have begun on the simplest levels, taking small amounts of raw materials (just 250 g to begin with) and I plan to work my way through to more professional stages of brewing. Lets see how stuff works out :)
      I am aware of the homedistillers.org page--a really cool resource!
      Any feedback, or suggestions are most welcome. Also if any of you guys have good literature suggestions--do let me know!
      Thanks and many cheers!
      Dittu
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2011
        Dittu,

        This is actually a forum for hobby distillers making alcoholic beverages. There are several forums for distillers of fuel alcohol, and the one I found first was http://forum-alcohol4fuel.co.

        A few facts, just so you don't go away empty-handed: At 100% yield, something you may strive to get close to but never see, 1 kilogram of the sugar glucose will yield about 800 ml of pure ethanol (also something you'll probably never see because it doesn't exist long in an open container).

        Fermenting other sugars will produce less ethanol, depending on which sugar we are speaking of. Starches like the potatos and rice you mention are not directly fermentable to ethanol, and must have their starches converted to some kinds of sugars, either by enzymes or industrial processes, before they can be fermented. Not surprisingly, inefficiencies in all those processes work to lower your ethanol yield even more.

        We beverage makers can be more tolerant of low yields, if we get good flavor in our product, but very few of us thing ethanol from potato starch is worthwhile. Some of us make rice-based spirits, using the koji fungus for starch conversion, and the product can be delicious.

        For fuel ethanol, you want fairly high % ethanol, with as little cost as possible. If you'll be mixing it with gasoline, your ethanol % will have to be very high.

        With a little luck, you'll get Peggy, our resident fuel expert to give you some real directions, and not just the maunderings of some besotted potstiller.

        Good luck in your search.