Greetings from new guy

  • charlie johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2011

      Hi all I really want to get into distilling / brewing but have zero exp and 100% enthusiasm toward learning to do this right. I have been doing a lot of reading and its only raised a ton of questions for me. Any advise or resources you guys can offer? Want to buy my first few pieces of equip and get started... Whisky and beer.
      CJ....

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2011
        Noobie here too, been lurking for a while. Lots of info to be had here. Distilled my batch here in a country where they read right to left and pray a lot. Turned out pretty well considering my lack of materials and ingredients. Got some wine going as I type. Good luck with your brewin'!

        Rich

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, charlie johnson <medicjohnson@...> wrote:

        > Hi all I really want to get into distilling / brewing but have zero exp and 100% enthusiasm toward learning to do this right. I have been doing a lot of reading and its only raised a ton of questions for me. Any advise or resources you guys can offer? Want to buy my first few pieces of equip and get started... Whisky and beer.
        > CJ....
        >
        > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • gaveupontv
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2011
          If you are just starting out, I can recommend a few great websites and 3 great books. Obviously, there are many more, but these are at the top of my list.

          http://homedistiller.org/forum/ great site, you'll spend hours here!
          http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Simple_Low_cost_Stills/index.htm I've tried his small still and it worked well. He has a book that I recommend for more advanced distillers "Designing and building automatic stills" by Riku
          "The Compleat Distiller" by Nixon and McCaw, and "Making pure corn whiskey" by Ian Smiley. His web page is here http://www.home-distilling.com/

          I think the best book for those just starting is 'the compleat distiller' (the book spells it 'compleat'.
          another great site is the amphora society
          http://www.amphora-society.com/

          I've dealt with all these sites, and can highly recommend them. Mr. Smiley's site is very quick to arrive if you live in the US. I've also bought stuff from Amphora, and I believe they have somebody in the States who ship for them, because I think Amphora is in New Zeland possibly? It's always nice to order and have stuff come in withing a week from start to finish.