Corn Toxin

  • adam
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2011
      Have some feed corn. States has less than 20ppb of Aflatoxin and fumosin. Anyone know much on this subject.
    • missouri_bootlegger
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011
        I used some (deer) feed corn that had the same warning and the musty smell. the smell came trough the still and I wound up tossing it all out.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

        > Have some feed corn. States has less than 20ppb of Aflatoxin and fumosin. Anyone know much on this subject.

      • Robert Korth
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011
          There are two official aflatoxin standards in the US: USDA and FDA. Test strips can be purchased that cover both standards. Our research group is considering adding the strips to our available products list, but we will have to purchase a large number to get the price low enough for reasonable re-sale. If enough people are interested, I can stock the strips.

          I met with a corn broker two weeks ago. He stated that the aflatoxin effects are overrated and not as important as they are reported to be by FDA and that ALL corn has traces of the aflatoxin. However, when I was doing post grad work at the U of SF school of public health, the academic literature stated that the toxin can be passed through milk--either cow or mother's milk and that it builds up in breast tissue and gonads to be a potential health hazard. The journals also warn about effects to the liver and pancreas. The effects are more significant to distiller's grains than the actual alcohol produced

          The USDA drew an arbitrary line across the US to note precautions with certain corn storage and use which indicated that the southern tier of states is much more susceptible than the northern tier of states. The growth of the mold has more to do with weather and moisture condensation than origin. This information is probably more than anyone wanted to know--just doing my job.

          Peggy
          www.sustainabletechsys.com

          > > Have some feed corn. States has less than 20ppb of Aflatoxin and fumosin. Anyone know much on this subject.

        • Adam Fordham
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011

            Good conversation. I noticed how good the deer corn I purchased looked and noticed the Aflatoxin label. Read some online. Guess if the yeasts don't mind and the boiling point was high enough. Shouldn't really matter.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          • Adam Fordham
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2011

              Mine smelled ok just never have come across that label before. Been a long time since I tried something new been using regular old feed corn

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

                > Mine smelled ok just never have come across that label before. Been a long time since I tried something new been using regular old feed corn
                >
                > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                If you can smell it on the corn you will taste it in the finished product that is why I tossed mine I want whiskey that taste good
              • Adam Fordham
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011

                  I hear you. Too much work to make junk. Ever used flaked maize.?