First Runs

  • johnloy10
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
      So I read that folks like to save the "tails" for addition to a future batch. If you were to run a 5 gallon wash that began at 20% through a very efficient still and achieve a product purity of around 95% my rough calculations are about a gallon of product, leaving behind about 4 gallons, minus a small amount of discarded "heads". This can't be right can it? That will make the next wash near double the size of the original. Is that how it works; second run and I have 9 gallons of wash to deal with?

      Secondly, running a valved reflux still and a 5 or 6 gallon wash how long will it take (roughly) to make the run after boil is achieved? Also if I run the same still as a pot still anyone know what the rough difference time-wise is?

      Thanks for any help guys.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2013
        With Zymurgy Bob's excellent "Making Fine Spirits" in hand I've made my first runs with my pot still. I've made a couple of brandy runs using wine that was a bit off, and I'm fermenting a sugar wash more or less according to the recommendations in the book (I had some Champagne yeast already so used that and upped the sugar).

        So I have a couple of questions.

        In the brandy runs I didn't get my first drops until the heat was showing 81-85 deg C. Shouldn't the undrinkable stuff be coming off at lower temps? Of course there could be an issue with the thermometer, or where its reading the temp, or perhaps there was little if any of the bad stuff in the wine?

        Along those lines I dutifully tossed the first oz. of distillate, but frankly, it smelled the best of what I got, no acetone or other smell. Again, perhaps just little if any of that to start?

        As for the sugar wash. I'm not really sure I know how to know when its done. Its been about a week. The surface is not a solid mass of foam and yeast any more, though about half covered, but fine bubbles are still rising. Small clumps of yeast are sinking, but others seem to be rising to the top being circulated by the action of the bubbles, I presume. My assumption is I wait until it is completely still...right?

        Thanks again to all,

        Mark