keeping your liquor in an old fruit jar

  • Thomas Foster
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
      Gavin, ask about canning products in the grocery store. I see mason
      jars regularly. More at the Rainbow low-cost type place than the
      up-scale fresh market type places, but that may be because I usually
      shop where it's cheap (like me) .

      But, really, it shouldn't be too hard to get those things for free.
      Mayonnaise, peanut butter, cider and beer can all still be had in
      glass.

      Good luck!

      Regards,
      Thos.
      --
      There's no "talking your way out" of a zombie apocalypse.
    • Chris Jude

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
          If Ball jar lids are not ethanol safe, it's news to me. I've had lots of liquor stored for years in jars with those lids, and I've never seen degradation or tasted off flavors.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

          > I've heard that Ball Jar Lids aren't good for the liquor, as the rubber
          > gasket isn't compatible. What are some good, available containers to store
          > the liquor in?
          >
          > Chris

        • Jerry McCullough

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2011
              > What are some good, available containers to store the liquor in?

              I use a lot of pre-made marinara sauce. (I really should learn a
              recipe, I guess ... ) It makes great pizzas, and goes fantastic as a
              sauce on top of mac & cheese. I particularly like Classico, both for
              flavor, and for the 1/2 cup graduations in the side of the jar. None
              of those sauce jars have that rubber gasket in there, though they do
              seem to have some type of coating. I don't shake up booze on a regular
              basis, but I haven't had a problem.

              --
              There's no "talking your way out" of a zombie apocalypse.