Re: How long to ferment corn mash

  • olrgernr
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
      what exactly is clear? I have let the mash sit for a few days and it still cloudy. Should it clear as water or is cloudy ok. I got some KC clear, should I add it to the mash before I distill?
      Thanks for the help.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "olrgernr" <olrgernr@...> wrote:

      > thanks checked and it tasted sour, so strained out the grain and now letting it settle until next dayoff to run. I got about 8% abv
      >
      > olrgernr
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Shot Man" <shotman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi olrgernr,
      > > Mine takes anywhere from 5 days to a couple weeks to ferment. I open mine every couple days and taste it. If it's still sweetish let it continue. You will know when it is about done or finished because the cap thins out or falls and it is bitter to sour. Then I get a sample and check with my hydrometer. Even after finishing I have let it sit a week or so till I could run it. If it's sweet not finished or stalled - sour or bitter check it and run it.
      > > See you,
      > > shotman

    • Shot Man
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi olrgernr,
        Mine doesn't get clear, not like water. It will look like Lemonaid or even a little darker. I think clear means no stuff still moving around in it and mostly settled to the bottom.
        See you,
        shotman
        .

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
          Thanks Shotman
          that's what it looks like, so i guess i will go with that and see what comes of it. Guess experience is the best teacher.