RE: [new_distillers] heart cuts

  • newbrew@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
      I love the idea of the cans for collection,but isn't aluminum and alcohol a no no? Does the lining stop the chemical interaction?
    • mav
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lhill0349" <lhill0349@...> wrote:

        > I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?

        75% to 55% is roughly the numbers I use for Rum and I have a similar problem as you have, I can't smell to well because of hay fever. So I use taste as I'm getting close to those figures.

        Cheers
        Marc
      • mav
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lhill0349" <lhill0349@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?
          > >

          > 75% to 55% is roughly the numbers I use for Rum and I have a similar problem as you have, I can't smell to well because of hay fever. So I use taste as I'm getting close to those figures.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Marc

          Just checked my last spirit run for Rum, and those are the cuts I used for my last 10 litre mutli-batch run.

          Cheers
          Marc
          Won't know the out come for a few months
        • geoff burrows
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
            A better job would be small screw top soft drinks bottles made of clear glass
            Geoff
          • gavinflett
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
              Crap, does the aluminum and the lining ruin the alcohol? I had to use cans because I live in the city and we don't have anywhere to get those old style fruit storage jars that my mom used to make fruit with. In fact, I have been hard pressed to find anywhere that I can buy just jars. I will accept any reasonable facsimile suggestions for storage, but I am quite good with my cuts now, I don't so much need the cans as much any more.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

              > A better job would be small screw top soft drinks bottles made of clear glass
              > Geoff

            • Shot Man
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                Hi gavinflett,
                I collect in two glass 250mm measuring cups, the kind that are microwave oven safe. I then check the % and pour it in Mason Jars with a coffee filter on top. You could use Baby Food jars to collect in or drink bottles with a small funnel. Store it in Apple Juice, Apple Cider glass jars or any food safe glass jar. Have friends save them and donate to you.
                Have a good one,
                shotman

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                  Awesome, thanks for the suggestions fellas.