heart cuts

  • lhill0349
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
      I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
        I'm led to believe that when one of the 5 senses is missing or diminished, the others are heightened or sharpened to compensate. This may of course be quite wrong.

        However, if the sense of smell can't serve, then perhaps the sense of taste will be useful? (heightened or not). Organoleptics involves all the body's senses.

        =================================

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lhill0349" <lhill0349@...> wrote:

        > I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?

      • Gavin Flett
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
          Personally, I use the onset of the oils as a point to make my cuts, I can see it as an oil slick on the top of my collection vessel (which is several coke cans cut in half to collect 150ml increments). When that happens I let it go for another 150-300ml and then stop the hearts collection there. But that's just me....

          To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          From: lhill0349@...
          Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:15:45 +0000
          Subject: [new_distillers] heart cuts

        • newbrew@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
            I love the idea of the cans for collection,but isn't aluminum and alcohol a no no? Does the lining stop the chemical interaction?
          • mav
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2011
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lhill0349" <lhill0349@...> wrote:

              > I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?

              75% to 55% is roughly the numbers I use for Rum and I have a similar problem as you have, I can't smell to well because of hay fever. So I use taste as I'm getting close to those figures.

              Cheers
              Marc
            • mav
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1 2:40 AM
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mav" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lhill0349" <lhill0349@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I can't sMell so finding the cut points is difficult. Does the 75% to 55% heart cut work all the time? Any sugestions in finding the end % for the heart cut?
                > >

                > 75% to 55% is roughly the numbers I use for Rum and I have a similar problem as you have, I can't smell to well because of hay fever. So I use taste as I'm getting close to those figures.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Marc

                Just checked my last spirit run for Rum, and those are the cuts I used for my last 10 litre mutli-batch run.

                Cheers
                Marc
                Won't know the out come for a few months
              • geoff burrows
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1 3:25 AM
                  A better job would be small screw top soft drinks bottles made of clear glass
                  Geoff
                • gavinflett
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1 11:55 PM
                    Crap, does the aluminum and the lining ruin the alcohol? I had to use cans because I live in the city and we don't have anywhere to get those old style fruit storage jars that my mom used to make fruit with. In fact, I have been hard pressed to find anywhere that I can buy just jars. I will accept any reasonable facsimile suggestions for storage, but I am quite good with my cuts now, I don't so much need the cans as much any more.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                    > A better job would be small screw top soft drinks bottles made of clear glass
                    > Geoff

                  • Shot Man
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2 5:17 AM
                      Hi gavinflett,
                      I collect in two glass 250mm measuring cups, the kind that are microwave oven safe. I then check the % and pour it in Mason Jars with a coffee filter on top. You could use Baby Food jars to collect in or drink bottles with a small funnel. Store it in Apple Juice, Apple Cider glass jars or any food safe glass jar. Have friends save them and donate to you.
                      Have a good one,
                      shotman

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2 9:12 AM
                        Awesome, thanks for the suggestions fellas.