Basic questions - How much alcool to get from 3 Litters of Red Wine (13°) ...

  • sharkosharko@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2011
      Hi,

      I've got some basics question about distillation :
      Hi,

      1. Have you got an idea about which quantity of alcool (in volume) is expected when distilling 3 Liters of wine in a standard pot still (the same as this one : http://homedistiller.org/image/alembic2.jpg) ?

      2. If I've well understood it is needed
      . to wait for the 60°C to come
      . then fill the condensator with cold water
      . begin to collect when the temporature comes to 78°C
      . Stop to collect when it arrive to 92°C

      Normally I should have : 7.5 ml of head. Is it ? (If I base the computation about 50 ml per 20 liters)

      3. Have you got an idea about the time it will take to extract the alcool from this wine ?

      4. If I've well understood again, it will result of lot of water & stuffs inside the pot. Will it be a good idea to leave this stuff to be colder and then try to distillate it ?

      Best Regards,
      Sharko
    • sharkosharko@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
        I've tried and here are my results :
        1. Near 50 cls of alcohol
        2. I've respected that
        3. I've made it on the pot still but with very little fire made by propane so it takes 2 hours and at the end the drops were very slow but with no fused oil. So I've stopped there.
        4. I think all the alcohol was gone

        The result is an alcohol strong but with a taste a little bit hard. I'm not already blind so I think it is done correctly :)

        The next step is to try sugar wash.

        Regards,
        Sharko.