Re: Alcohol content

  • geoff burrows
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 2011
      Hi,
      If you collectr too fast you will get a lot of steam (water) coming out with the distillate and that will dilute your finished spirit
      Turn your heat source down, collect slower.
      Geoff
    • Pufferfish86
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2011
        That is because it is the first still. Try distill the spirit for 2nd time. The percentage of alcohol will increase.

        See:)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ivnatt77" <ivnatt77@...> wrote:

        > Just distilled a new batch of spirit, did an alcohol reading and it read 30%....why is the reaing so low.

      • ivnatt77
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 2011
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "JD" <jeandenis308@...> wrote:

          > did you run it with a pot stil ?
          >
          > what did you run.
          >
          > A whas of about 5% will be about 35% .
          >
          > let us know what you ran with what kinda still ;)
          >
          > Greetz
          >
          > JackD

          I ran it in a pot still, about 4 lts at a time, stopped it at about 90' ran water flow reasonably slow.
        • ivnatt77
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 19, 2011
            Hi Geoff, thought that might have been a problem the last time, paid more attention this time, using pot still, ran the flow a little slower this time,

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > If you collectr too fast you will get a lot of steam (water) coming out with the distillate and that will dilute your finished spirit
            > Turn your heat source down, collect slower.
            > Geoff

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2011
              Ivnatt,

              Sorry to chime on so late, but the most obvious possibility is that your wash had a very low alcohol percentage. That's usually due to either a low percentage of fermentable sugars in the original wash, or a fermentation that has stopped before all the sugars have been fermented, a "stuck ferment".

              A couple of common causes of stuck ferments are lack of sufficient yeast nutrients, and extremely high or low fermentation temperatures.

              What instrument did you use to measure that 30% ABV?

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2011
                Hi, thanks for that, think your right on the Stuck ferment, it did stop fermenting, quicker than i thought it should.