Re: Rum info

  • DANIEL DRUMM
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
      Thanks for the help on my question.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@...> wrote:

        > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

        You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.

      • Chris Jude
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          Thanks for posting this.  Is there a description of this drawing that I could see?
          The only hands-on experience I have is with a straight run packed column still.  This sketch looks similar to the old style appalachian stills I've seen.  The distillate is run through two thumpers, are they pre-charged with heads/tails of previous runs?  Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning.

          On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

          > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
          > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
          > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
          > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
          > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
          >
          > Thanks

        • Henk
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
            Ok great, then I'll have to build me 2 thumbers.....LOL
            I love building, but never thougt about thumbers, first have to figure out the sizes.

            Henk

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?
            >

            > You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

          • Henk
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
              I'm still a bit confused.
              The thumpers are filled with "low wines" and "high Wines". To me low wines is the product after a stripping run.
              The picture seems to tell, high wines are the heads an low wines the tales, and a striping would not be necassary (even better to not do a stripping).