Re: Rum info

  • Henk
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
      Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum
      > juice,
      > > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for
      > making
      > > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm
      > interested
      > > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm
      > fairly
      > > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • DANIEL DRUMM
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
        Thanks for the help on my question.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@...> wrote:

          > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

          You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.

        • Chris Jude
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
            Thanks for posting this.  Is there a description of this drawing that I could see?
            The only hands-on experience I have is with a straight run packed column still.  This sketch looks similar to the old style appalachian stills I've seen.  The distillate is run through two thumpers, are they pre-charged with heads/tails of previous runs?  Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning.

            On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

            > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
            > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
            > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
            > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
            > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Henk
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
              Ok great, then I'll have to build me 2 thumbers.....LOL
              I love building, but never thougt about thumbers, first have to figure out the sizes.

              Henk

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?
              >

              > You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.
              >
              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • Henk
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                I'm still a bit confused.
                The thumpers are filled with "low wines" and "high Wines". To me low wines is the product after a stripping run.
                The picture seems to tell, high wines are the heads an low wines the tales, and a striping would not be necassary (even better to not do a stripping).