Re: Rum info

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
      > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
      > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
      > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
      > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
      >
      > Thanks

    • Henk
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
        Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum
        > juice,
        > > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for
        > making
        > > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm
        > interested
        > > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm
        > fairly
        > > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • DANIEL DRUMM
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          Thanks for the help on my question.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@...> wrote:

            > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

            You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.

          • Chris Jude
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
              Thanks for posting this.  Is there a description of this drawing that I could see?
              The only hands-on experience I have is with a straight run packed column still.  This sketch looks similar to the old style appalachian stills I've seen.  The distillate is run through two thumpers, are they pre-charged with heads/tails of previous runs?  Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning.

              On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
              > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
              > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
              > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
              > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
              >
              > Thanks

            • Henk
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
                Ok great, then I'll have to build me 2 thumbers.....LOL
                I love building, but never thougt about thumbers, first have to figure out the sizes.

                Henk

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?
                >

                > You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • Henk
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                  I'm still a bit confused.
                  The thumpers are filled with "low wines" and "high Wines". To me low wines is the product after a stripping run.
                  The picture seems to tell, high wines are the heads an low wines the tales, and a striping would not be necassary (even better to not do a stripping).