Rum info

  • Chris Jude
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2011
      I'm looking for some basic info on making rum.  I'll be using Sorghum juice, but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making a good rum.  I haven't found very much through my searches.  I'm interested in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for.  I'm fairly new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
        > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
        > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
        > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
        > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Henk
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
          Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum
          > juice,
          > > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for
          > making
          > > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm
          > interested
          > > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm
          > fairly
          > > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • DANIEL DRUMM
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
            Thanks for the help on my question.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@...> wrote:

              > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?

              You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.

            • Chris Jude
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
                Thanks for posting this.  Is there a description of this drawing that I could see?
                The only hands-on experience I have is with a straight run packed column still.  This sketch looks similar to the old style appalachian stills I've seen.  The distillate is run through two thumpers, are they pre-charged with heads/tails of previous runs?  Pardon my ignorance, I'm still learning.

                On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

                > I'm looking for some basic info on making rum. I'll be using Sorghum juice,
                > but am mostly interested in just learning more about the process for making
                > a good rum. I haven't found very much through my searches. I'm interested
                > in info on stripping, aging, what sorts of purities to aim for. I'm fairly
                > new to distilling, but rum is my focus for learning the process.
                >
                > Thanks

              • Henk
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2011
                  Ok great, then I'll have to build me 2 thumbers.....LOL
                  I love building, but never thougt about thumbers, first have to figure out the sizes.

                  Henk

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Henk" <hstuurman@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Do they use the heads in a thumber and the tails in another thumber? Mixed with water I assume. Or am I wrong?
                  >

                  > You are correct. Those are the figures/ratios you see on the thumpers.
                  >
                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                • Henk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                    I'm still a bit confused.
                    The thumpers are filled with "low wines" and "high Wines". To me low wines is the product after a stripping run.
                    The picture seems to tell, high wines are the heads an low wines the tales, and a striping would not be necassary (even better to not do a stripping).