Re: cap on head assembly

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2011
      If you're talking about the design on the right side of that page, and if that design is the 2" column with the reflux condenser in 3" pipe, then you specifically do not want a cap over that condenser. The condenser should be open to room air, and the cooling water in the reflux condenser should be adjusted so that no ethanol/water vapor gets past that condenser without being condensed. If you have vapor escaping out the top, you have some other problems.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "drummd@..." <drummd@...> wrote:

      > Could anyone tell me if there is a 3"cap on the head assembly of the valved reflux still. I'm talking about the one on the moonshine-still.com site, "Building a Home Distillation Apparatus." Seems like one is needed but no instructions to install one. Thanks.

    • geoff burrows
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2011
        On no account put a cap on the top of that 3" pipe if you do you are in effect making a pressurized sealed system.  This could turn into a potentially explosive situation if ethanol is involved. (with neat ethanol spraying out of a leaky joint  and a propane burner drawing in dust flecks from below it throwing the little red burnt dust particles up past it not good)
        If you want to slow the ethanol/steam mix down in the vicinity of the condenser just turn your heat source down or put a stainless steel pot scrubber just inside the top that'll make it linger in the coil area a little longer.
        The whole system is designed as an open to the outside air or equal pressure system  i.e. a non-pressurized system.  NEVER EVER put a sealing cap on top.
        Geoff