Re: Fwd: [new_distillers] Filtration

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011

      Ed,

      Nice! How do you produce ozone and how much ozone do you need to purify for
      example 10 lts of bioethanol?

      I have no idea how much or even if it works on bio but I know it cleans up my spirit quite well. I use an ozone generator that I originally purchased for another purpose. They’re all over eBay for cheap money. I just bubble it in a carboy with diluted spirits for anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour, haven’t seen much difference in the time but if there is any contaminant in the product it seems to take it out, flavor and odor.

      One thing I noticed and not sure what the reaction is but I have 5 gallons of stripped product sitting in a carboy on salt and carbonate, maybe 50+% and I ran the ozone through that for 10 minutes or so and it turned yellow. I’ve done this several times and distilled one batch and it seemed quite clean but then most of my stuff is clean anyway so I just started doing this as an experiment and it seemed to work.

      I also noticed that my carbon filter took on quite a reaction when I plugged the ozone outlet hose into the filter outlet and had it run for a while, quite the chemical reaction, product came out blue. Only had 500 ML in the filter column.