Salt in your Mash?

  • JoeK
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
      Ok, So when I say Im a small batch distiller, I mean I distill 4 gallons at a time, so you can imagine what I get out of that. Anyway I've been doing it 3 years and love it. Im getting ready to run off a batch of whiskey and wanted to try adding salt to the mash and wanted to know how much to use??? Thanks
    • Adam Fordham
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011

        Wanted add on this thread.....anyone add Arm & Hammer baking soda?

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Ok, So when I say Im a small batch distiller, I mean I distill 4 gallons at a time, so you can imagine what I get out of that. Anyway I've been doing it 3 years and love it. Im getting ready to run off a batch of whiskey and wanted to try adding salt to the mash and wanted to know how much to use??? Thanks

      • Fredrick Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          Salt will affect the osmotic pressure of the yeast cell wall. Depending on the strain, this may create or reduce off-flavors. Generally speaking I add salt post fermentation.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011

            Did some reading and baking soda or salt that has no iodine can be added to a stripped wash. Found everything from a teaspoon to 1/4 cup per gal of stripped wash. I would try a tablespoon per gal and see if that made a noticeable difference. Then more or less on the next go.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
              The purpose of add bicarb/baking soda to a wash is to suppress ester formation. In essence that just removes the flavor from your wash. If you want to make tasteless vodka and you've made a turbo wash that tastes foul, bicarb in your second-distillation wash is a great thing.

              On the other hand, if you've spent time and money to develop wonderful flavors in your rum, single malt, or fruit brandy, adding bicarb to the low wines will destroy those lovingly-created flavors you worked so hard to get. If you want to turn your home-made Laphroig into Monarch vodka, use bicarb.

              The reason I'm stressing using bicarb only in the second (or later) distillation is this: Adding bicarb to a wash with lots of nitrogen-bearing yeast nutrients (think turbo wash) sets you up for the "blue ookies", Schweizer's reagent, in your distillate, and no-one wants that.

            • hugh harnett
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
                How much bi-carb does one add per litre of low wines?

                Just got back into distilling, once again this group is a wealth of
                information!

                Thanks!

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>