RE: [new_distillers] Clearing Wash

  • Campbell Jones
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 9 1:48 AM

      Hi Steve

      Now that is a good question Steve. I am a newcomer to turbo yeasts having used " ordinary "  wine yeasts for years both for home wine production and our hobby too. I could ferment, rack and use these in approx 6 weeks as they were then " crystal " clear withiut the addition of any clearing product.

      Can anyone please tell me how long ( assuming no temperature problems in fermentation etc. ) it takes for a wash to clear enough to distill using these products. I started 25 L over two weeks ago and it went down to .996 OK. It has been sitting in a cold 58 F cellar since then and is still far too cloudy to use. Weeks  .... Months.?? Apart from the obvious high alcohol production is there any point in using these expensive chemicals ?

      Just wondering folks   ..... and impatient as I am waiting to do a first run on a new outfit.

      Cheers

      Campbell

        Steve <sbeek@...> wrote:

      Hi Rev. David M. Cunningham,

      Thanks for your information.

      > knowledge that was passed down to me through family tradition. I have
      > never used these methods, so I can offer no further advise on tips or

      If you've never used any of the suggested methods then how do you clear
      your wash?

      Cheers,
            Steve

      Sign up to watch the FIFA World Cup video highlights from your desk!

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/en

    • Rev. David M. Cunningham
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 9 3:12 AM
        << If you've never used any of the suggested methods then how do you
        clear your wash? >>

        Just to clear up some things (no pun intended), I never "suggested" the
        methods that I described. I only offered them as a piece of "historical"
        knowledge. I have no idea how well those methods really work, but by the
        amount of old wine making instructions that I have came across, they
        must have worked real well for those times. My family members used to
        use them, so I guess they were good for something.

        For my "brews," I let it sit and allow for it to clear itself. I don't use those "Turbo"
        yeasts, as I use regular EC-1118 and K1-V1116 by Lalvin.

        I make wine and this is where most of my "brewing" knowledge comes
        from. I follow my recipe's (yes Lynne, I do add and subtract from them
        when necessary) and make them just like any other type of wine. I have
        have used Sparkiloid (spelling?) a few times for real stubborn ones.

        Plain and simple -- that is the way I like things.

        Sincerely,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham

        P.S. I never received the original e-mail asking me this question, so I
        apologize for not answering sooner. It seems that Yahoo! and local law
        enforcement like to play with my e-mail at times.
      • waljaco
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 10 5:07 AM
          peter_vcb in msg 3263 recommended "Common Wine and Beer Finings" site
          http://www.brewerylane.com/finings.html
          Good description of the various finings available - appears you might
          need a positive and negative charged fining to be absolutely sure?

          Wal