setteled sediment

  • Slingshot
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
      I have asked and received some help with this in the past, but can't fix it. I vivited a friend last night who has a bottle of my whiskey product. The bottle had been sitting for a while, and when I picked it up to look at it, there was a moderate amount of sediment that had settled. After I age, and during bottling, i filter through a coffee filter, and also wad a piece of tissue in the funnel to catch any particulate. Obviously, this doesn't work well enough. Any idea what it could be, and how to avoid it?
    • Adam Fordham
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011

        Has it been on oak? You add any honey etc.?

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011
          I age it in oak barrells for a while with a few peppercorns. After that I put it in a glass jug, with a wee bit of pure maple syrup, and a few sticks of medium toast sugar maple. I have a hunch my issue is lurking around the maple syrup.
        • Adam Fordham
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2011

            I get the same thing. I have used raw honey and gotten a fair amount of sediment. Guessing mostly pollen but not sure. I started adding honey to water about 3 to 1. Let that settle out then add to my whiskey. Maple syrup I haven't had an issue with but try what I done with the honey.