Re: eau di vie - blackberry

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
      Hep Paolo,

      A macerated, distilled schnapps is made by soaking the berries in strong (perhaps 50%) alcohol for a while and then distilling it. This gives the spirit a slightly different flavor from distilling a blackberry wine.

      Yes, please keep us posted on your results. I just love fruit brandies!

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "paolo_cucinotta_34" <cucinotta34@...> wrote:

      > Roberto, what is the "macerated-distilled schnapps" you reference - is that distilled on pulp? while the eaux-de-vie would be the distilled clear run mash only (no pulp) am I right there?
      > Great on the oak recommendation. I'll try one of each. I'm off to give it a shot and revert back to what i did and how it worked out. Thanks for your insight, really helpful.
      >
      >----snip----
    • paolo_cucinotta_34
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2011
        Thanks. OK as of today, I have macerated 9.5L of bberries in primary, alot of juice just free flow with no h20 added yet. Will check SG tomorrow and add nutrient (5ml per liter would be 47.5ML correct? seems like alot!) and add yeast, cover, punch down and await a 1.000 SG. I can then run it on pulp in the ban marie. So far am I on track? Thanks.

        > Hep Paolo,
        >
        > A macerated, distilled schnapps is made by soaking the berries in strong
        > (perhaps 50%) alcohol for a while and then distilling it. This gives the
        > spirit a slightly different flavor from distilling a blackberry wine.
        >
        > Yes, please keep us posted on your results. I just love fruit brandies!

        > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "paolo_cucinotta_34"
        > <cucinotta34@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Roberto, what is the "macerated-distilled schnapps" you reference - is
        > that distilled on pulp? while the eaux-de-vie would be the distilled
        > clear run mash only (no pulp) am I right there?
        > > Great on the oak recommendation. I'll try one of each. I'm off to give
        > it a shot and revert back to what i did and how it worked out. Thanks
        > for your insight, really helpful.

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15, 2011
          Paolo,

          You're right about the amount of yeast nutrients. For 9.5l, 5ml of nutrients is fine. I was translating units in my head, and blew it.

          Other than that, you're right on track. Good luck!

          ---snip----