sorghum/molasses rum

  • Chris Jude
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
       Folks,

      I'm still pretty new to the list, and have participated in a couple of runs with friends.  I am raising Sweet Sorghum and will be harvesting next month.  I would like to try a rum with the product.  With the sorghum you get a juice that is about 16-20 brix, which can be cooked into a syrup of about 80 brix.  I'm interested in trying something with both.  Has anyone experimented with rums before?  Anyone worked with Sorghum Syrup before?

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • Chris Jude

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
          Sorry to seem unresponsive, Chris, but I have no experience with sorghum. I'm guessing that sorghum has unfermentable sugars like molasses, but probably to a lesser degree. That 16-20 Brix juice should ferment nicely as it is, but with some commercial yeast nutrients (I don't know what nutrients sorghum has), or DAP with vitamins an epsom salts.

          Depending on how much of the sugar in that Brix reading is unfermentable, you might get as much as 10% ABV from a ferment. Understand I'm pulling all of this outa my um, imagination.

          I hope it helps anyway. Keep us posted and we'll have better info for the next sorghum guy.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

          > I can't tell if my emails aren't making it to the list, or if no one has any
          > comments on my questions...
          >

          > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Chris Jude vegbenz300@... wrote:
          >
          > > Folks,
          > >
          > > I'm still pretty new to the list, and have participated in a couple of runs
          > > with friends. I am raising Sweet Sorghum and will be harvesting next month.
          > > I would like to try a rum with the product. With the sorghum you get a
          > > juice that is about 16-20 brix, which can be cooked into a syrup of about 80
          > > brix. I'm interested in trying something with both. Has anyone
          > > experimented with rums before? Anyone worked with Sorghum Syrup before?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Chris

        • Chris Jude
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
            Thanks Bob.  I just got my copy of the Compleat Distiller yesterday, and got about 1/3 of the way through last night.  I had found an old handbook on distillation last year in Powells books that discussed Sorghum as a great feedstock.  It's all the rage in the fuel ethanol world right now.
            We fermented about 30 gallons of un cooked juice last year, then distilled it, and it wasn't bad.  I think we could learn a lot about pulling the splits, and it may be beneficial to cook it at least some at first to kill off competing yeasts and such.  I'm hoping to do much better at taking measurements through the process this year...

            Chris

            On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

            Sorry to seem unresponsive, Chris, but I have no experience with sorghum. I'm guessing that sorghum has unfermentable sugars like molasses, but probably to a lesser degree. That 16-20 Brix juice should ferment nicely as it is, but with some commercial yeast nutrients (I don't know what nutrients sorghum has), or DAP with vitamins an epsom salts.

            Depending on how much of the sugar in that Brix reading is unfermentable, you might get as much as 10% ABV from a ferment. Understand I'm pulling all of this outa my um, imagination.

            I hope it helps anyway. Keep us posted and we'll have better info for the next sorghum guy.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

            > I can't tell if my emails aren't making it to the list, or if no one has any
            > comments on my questions...
            >

            > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Chris Jude vegbenz300@... wrote:
            >
            > > Folks,
            > >
            > > I'm still pretty new to the list, and have participated in a couple of runs
            > > with friends. I am raising Sweet Sorghum and will be harvesting next month.
            > > I would like to try a rum with the product. With the sorghum you get a
            > > juice that is about 16-20 brix, which can be cooked into a syrup of about 80
            > > brix. I'm interested in trying something with both. Has anyone
            > > experimented with rums before? Anyone worked with Sorghum Syrup before?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Chris

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
              Powell's huh?

              Chris, you hafta stay out of them Portland book stores; they'll corrupt your vital juices and soften your brain. I grew up there and here I am, permanently disfigured (but Powell's is a great place, especially the big downtown store).

            • pint_o_shine
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2011
                Heah, gang. I don't post on here much, but I know the answer to this one. I have done sorghum syrup, cooked and uncooked juice. If you ferment the syrup with lactic acid it makes a great wine. The distilled stuff if really full flavored. The uncooked juice is very floral when distilled but hard to keep from spontaneously fermenting without sulfites.
                The best balance of flavor and ease of use is the cooked juice. Just bring it to a boil and allow it to cool. This stuff is awesome.
                http://tinyurl.com/3j852oe
                Here are some pictures of my sorghum adventures.
                The grain can be malted and converted also. It is common in Africa to make beer from it and the Chinese make MaoTia liquor from it.

                > Powell's huh?
                >
                > Chris, you hafta stay out of them Portland book stores; they'll corrupt
                > your vital juices and soften your brain. I grew up there and here I am,
                > permanently disfigured (but Powell's is a great place, especially the
                > big downtown store).

                > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude <vegbenz300@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Bob. I just got my copy of the Compleat Distiller yesterday,
                > and got
                > > about 1/3 of the way through last night. I had found an old handbook
                > on
                > > distillation last year in Powells books that discussed Sorghum as a
                > great
                > > feedstock. It's all the rage in the fuel ethanol world right now.
                > > We fermented about 30 gallons of un cooked juice last year, then
                > distilled
                > > it, and it wasn't bad. I think we could learn a lot about pulling the
                > > splits, and it may be beneficial to cook it at least some at first to
                > kill
                > > off competing yeasts and such. I'm hoping to do much better at taking
                > > measurements through the process this year...
                > >
                > > Chris
                > >
                > > On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM, tgfoitwoods zymurgybob@ wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Sorry to seem unresponsive, Chris, but I have no experience with
                > sorghum.
                > > > I'm guessing that sorghum has unfermentable sugars like molasses,
                > but
                > > > probably to a lesser degree. That 16-20 Brix juice should ferment
                > nicely as
                > > > it is, but with some commercial yeast nutrients (I don't know what
                > nutrients
                > > > sorghum has), or DAP with vitamins an epsom salts.
                > > >
                > > > Depending on how much of the sugar in that Brix reading is
                > unfermentable,
                > > > you might get as much as 10% ABV from a ferment. Understand I'm
                > pulling all
                > > > of this outa my um, imagination.
                > > >
                > > > I hope it helps anyway. Keep us posted and we'll have better info
                > for the
                > > > next sorghum guy.
                > > >
                > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine
                > Spirits*<http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>

                > one has
                > > > any

                > couple of
                > > > runs
                > next
                > > > month.
                > get a
                > of
                > > > about 80
                > before?

              • Chris Jude
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 15, 2011
                  Thanks for the info, that is really helpful.  I was thinking that just bringing the juice up to a boil then cooling it would be effective.  Taking it all the way to syrup seems like a lot of work and risk if you don't have to.
                  What sort of yeast do you use, and do you know what sort of SG's you end up with?  Alcohol content of the beer before distilling?

                  We're harvesting in a couple weeks and I want to be ready to go...

                • crsound
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
                    I have been using sorghum Grain for a while in My all Grain batches.
                    I use 15% more Sorghum grain from the feed store than corn, Un Malted.
                    This is in My All Grain Tennessee whiskey mash bill.
                    I have been trying to reproduce a MaoTia Liquor.
                    The results are going well.
                    I have no info on sweet Sorghum stalks or otherwise,,
                    Over The Rail N' Down The Hatch,
                    CRSound