Bourbon, All Grain Mash

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
      To all:

      I am working on bourbon mash using flaked corn, flaked rye, and malted barley. When I cooked the mash it was very thick until the barley started the conversion of starch to sugar at which time it thinned considerably. The fermentation has been going for three (3) days and seems to be doing very well. The mash continues to thin. There is quite a bit of solid corn material on the surface. I gently stir it down a couple of times per day.

      At what point should I strain the solids out of the mash? Should I wait until fermentation is complete or should I do as with wine, strain it when the major fermentation has subsided and let the fermentation finish in a carboy with minimal solids?

      Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

      Tom
    • Fredrick Lee

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
          Tom,

          I'm not sure I can justify my reasoning, but for corn mashes I wait until fermentation is finished, probably in the hope that I will get the easiest separation of the liquid from the gluey corn gunk. For barley mashes, on the other hand, where lautering and sparging is nice, easy, and effective, I lauter right after starch conversion.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

          > To all:
          >
          > I am working on bourbon mash using flaked corn, flaked rye, and malted barley. When I cooked the mash it was very thick until the barley started the conversion of starch to sugar at which time it thinned considerably. The fermentation has been going for three (3) days and seems to be doing very well. The mash continues to thin. There is quite a bit of solid corn material on the surface. I gently stir it down a couple of times per day.
          >
          > At what point should I strain the solids out of the mash? Should I wait until fermentation is complete or should I do as with wine, strain it when the major fermentation has subsided and let the fermentation finish in a carboy with minimal solids?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.
          >
          > Tom

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
            Frederick,

            Thanks for your resoinse. I have sparged all-grain mashes but this one was flaked grain and I wanted to ferment it with the "flakes".

            Thanks,

            Tom

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Fredrick Lee <fredrick@...> wrote:

            > Usually the mash is "sparged" (rinsed) before fermentation. You can rack your liquid probably anytime after the gravity is below 1.020. I would make sure you have at least 6% abv before siphoning off into another container.
            >
            > On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:23, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:
            >
            > > To all:
            > >
            > > I am working on bourbon mash using flaked corn, flaked rye, and malted barley. When I cooked the mash it was very thick until the barley started the conversion of starch to sugar at which time it thinned considerably. The fermentation has been going for three (3) days and seems to be doing very well. The mash continues to thin. There is quite a bit of solid corn material on the surface. I gently stir it down a couple of times per day.
            > >
            > > At what point should I strain the solids out of the mash? Should I wait until fermentation is complete or should I do as with wine, strain it when the major fermentation has subsided and let the fermentation finish in a carboy with minimal solids?
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.
            > >
            > > Tom

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
              Z. Bob,

              Thanks, I'll let it keep working.

              By the way, your book is great!

              Tom

              > Tom,
              >
              > I'm not sure I can justify my reasoning, but for corn mashes I wait
              > until fermentation is finished, probably in the hope that I will get the
              > easiest separation of the liquid from the gluey corn gunk. For barley
              > mashes, on the other hand, where lautering and sparging is nice, easy,
              > and effective, I lauter right after starch conversion.

              > <http://kelleybarts.com/MFS.html>
              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@> wrote:
              > >

              > > To all:
              > >
              > > I am working on bourbon mash using flaked corn, flaked rye, and malted
              > barley. When I cooked the mash it was very thick until the barley
              > started the conversion of starch to sugar at which time it thinned
              > considerably. The fermentation has been going for three (3) days and
              > seems to be doing very well. The mash continues to thin. There is quite
              > a bit of solid corn material on the surface. I gently stir it down a
              > couple of times per day.
              > >
              > > At what point should I strain the solids out of the mash? Should I
              > wait until fermentation is complete or should I do as with wine, strain
              > it when the major fermentation has subsided and let the fermentation
              > finish in a carboy with minimal solids?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.
              > >
              > > Tom

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
                BLUSH