Crystals in my Strip?

  • adam
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
      I've noticed that twice now I've gotten crystals in my beer stripped corn whiskey. I collect in one gallon glass jugs. Seems fine the day I collect...nice and clear. The next day the distillate is cloudy with tiny hair like tiny crystals floating around in it. Anyone know what this might be from? I haven't added this to my spirit runs.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

        > I've noticed that twice now I've gotten crystals in my beer stripped corn whiskey. I collect in one gallon glass jugs. Seems fine the day I collect...nice and clear. The next day the distillate is cloudy with tiny hair like tiny crystals floating around in it. Anyone know what this might be from? I haven't added this to my spirit runs.

        Protein and fatty acids. It's normal. Go ahead & 2nd distil.

      • mav
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2011
          I see a similar thing with my molasses strip runs, ( I see cloudy/milky fakes, after standing over night), but I see this in the first portion of the heads strip run, (less than 30ml in my case, boiler size is 20L). I know that most text say collect everything on the stripping run. Which I have done for years but I decided to change things up to see how things go.

          But it won't hurt to take the first few mls/ small cloudy amounts from the beginning of the stripping run. You chose to do it or collect every thing and make your cuts on your spirit run, it's your choice!

          Next stripping run I'll take photo of the cloudy striped fermention so you can see what I'm seeing if you like, maybe Friday or Saturday?

          But really, its fine, and what Harry said is absolutely correct.

          Cheers
          Marc