Re: Mash Press

  • charltonpeckery
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
      Another, method would be to 'Paint" the wood with molten coconut oil. (It is solid at room temp.)

      In his book "Gardening for when it counts-growing food in hard times" Steve Solomon suggested the use of coconut oil on wood gardening tool handles.

      It works great! If you are concerned that coconut may impart a taste, one could try any neutral salad oil (canola, corn, veg., etc.) Simple, non toxic, and relatively inexpensive.

      You may have to reapply annually or so...

      --Gary

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, John Brase <jbrase@...> wrote:

      > You might check into finishing oil designed to be used on food contact
      > wood surfaces. I think it is sometimes referred to as "salad bowl
      > finish." Any woodworking hobby store should have it.
      >
      > On 8/31/2011 11:07 PM, adam wrote:
      > >
      > > Built a press out of red oak wood and want to seal it. Anyone know if
      > > the wash juice ie the ethanol etc in it will leach out anything
      > > harmful if I coat in epoxy resin or polyeurthene ? I've got some bar
      > > counter top epoxy I was thinking might be ok.

    • bruich44
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011
        Adam-

        I recoated my apple press with Poxy Coat II Clear when the old stuff started peeling away. It's a soy based, food grade epoxy that dries to a hard finish, made for sealing food grade applications and should last 15 years with heavy use, or in my case, a lifetime... You're paying a pretty penny for the product though.

        http://www.poxycoat.com/products.asp

        -bl
      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011