Re: [new_distillers] Mash Press

  • John Brase
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
      You might check into finishing oil designed to be used on food contact wood surfaces. I think it is sometimes referred to as "salad bowl finish." Any woodworking hobby store should have it.

      On 8/31/2011 11:07 PM, adam wrote:

      Built a press out of red oak wood and want to seal it. Anyone know if the wash juice ie the ethanol etc in it will leach out anything harmful if I coat in epoxy resin or polyeurthene ? I've got some bar counter top epoxy I was thinking might be ok.

    • Adam Fordham
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011

        Hey thanks I hadn't thought of that

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        From: John Brase <jbrase@...>;
        You might check into finishing oil designed to be used on food contact wood surfaces. I think it is sometimes referred to as "salad bowl finish." Any woodworking hobby store should have it.

        On 8/31/2011 11:07 PM, adam wrote:

        Built a press out of red oak wood and want to seal it. Anyone know if the wash juice ie the ethanol etc in it will leach out anything harmful if I coat in epoxy resin or polyeurthene ? I've got some bar counter top epoxy I was thinking might be ok.

      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011

          Hi Adam,

          From what I’ve read on this forum red oak is very porous especially through the end grain so much so that you can literally suck water up through the end grain.  And for storing wine or spirit it’s a no, no.  It can leave spirit with an acrid sharp taste or so some have said who have tried it on these hallowed forum halls of knowledge.

          I would say as a fruit press were you are only extracting the juice red oak would be fineas juice is just passing through.  But  white oak is the very boyo’ for your job for spirit storage in barrels.  Type in red oak in the search bar in the messages section of new distillers and see what comes up

          Geoff
        • Adam Fordham
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011

            I'm stuck with Lowes or home depot and neither carried white oak. Honestly I chose the red oak for the looks and hardness. Originally thought a coat of polyeurothene would seal it but started worrying about leaching chemicals out of that. Same with an epoxy resin. But I'm no chemist.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2011
              Another, method would be to 'Paint" the wood with molten coconut oil. (It is solid at room temp.)

              In his book "Gardening for when it counts-growing food in hard times" Steve Solomon suggested the use of coconut oil on wood gardening tool handles.

              It works great! If you are concerned that coconut may impart a taste, one could try any neutral salad oil (canola, corn, veg., etc.) Simple, non toxic, and relatively inexpensive.

              You may have to reapply annually or so...

              --Gary

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, John Brase <jbrase@...> wrote:

              > You might check into finishing oil designed to be used on food contact
              > wood surfaces. I think it is sometimes referred to as "salad bowl
              > finish." Any woodworking hobby store should have it.
              >
              > On 8/31/2011 11:07 PM, adam wrote:
              > >
              > > Built a press out of red oak wood and want to seal it. Anyone know if
              > > the wash juice ie the ethanol etc in it will leach out anything
              > > harmful if I coat in epoxy resin or polyeurthene ? I've got some bar
              > > counter top epoxy I was thinking might be ok.

            • bruich44
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011
                Adam-

                I recoated my apple press with Poxy Coat II Clear when the old stuff started peeling away. It's a soy based, food grade epoxy that dries to a hard finish, made for sealing food grade applications and should last 15 years with heavy use, or in my case, a lifetime... You're paying a pretty penny for the product though.

                http://www.poxycoat.com/products.asp

                -bl
              • Adam Fordham
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2011