Re: Potassium Sorbate in Molasses

  • missouri_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2011
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know if the potassium sorbate in grocery store molasses is something to be concerned about? If I let the mash sit overnight will that allow the preservative to air out? I've used it once before but I think I didn't add my yeast til the following morning.

      This is what I use I think it is better than the molasses in the grocery store. details below

      I mix 1 gal molasses to 4 gal of water and get a SG of 1.090 distills out clean if you live in the USA this is the best I have found I pay $10.00 per gal when you buy 5 gal almost no shipping it is a co-op you have to get set up with; no fees and they deliver once a month

      web site

      http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/8992/

      Azure Standard
      79709 Dufur Valley Road,
      Dufur, OR 97021

      - Phone Orders: 541-467-2230
      - Fax: 541-467-2210

      Bulk Molasses, Old-Fashioned - 1 gallon

      Quantity:
      Code: SW023
      Size: 1 gallon
      Weight: 12.0 lb.

      Quantity:
      Code: SW024
      Size: 32 ozs.
      Weight: 3.3 lb.

      Quantity:
      Code: SW025
      Size: 5 gallons
      Weight: 60.0 lb.

      Product Description

      Unsulphured molasses.

      What is the difference between Blackstrap and Barbados Old Fashioned Molasses? Blackstrap Molasses has had more of the sugar extracted from it, which makes it less sweet (more bitter) but contains a higher amount of iron.

      Barbados Old-Fashioned Molasses on the other hand, hasn't had so much of the sugar removed so it is sweeter, but doesn't have the higher concentration of iron.

      Nutrition Facts

      Serving Size: 1 Tbsp. (21 g)

      Nutrient Amount %DV

      Calories 60