Re: JEM

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
      Speaking of Jim, seems he's done the Waldo thing again.

      =========================
    • Alli
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
        Not sure if this question is for Derek or Waldo. Being a Newbe I want to get it right. The recipe calls for 12 lbs of sugar. I assume that 2 cups is roughly 1 lb. Do all 12 lbs (24 cups) need to be inverted? thanks
        alli

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

        > At 03:28 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
        > >

        > >I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
        > >the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
        > >or know where I can get it? Thanks
        >
        > Ta Da!
        >

        > Derek
        > I've traveled a long way
        > And some of the roads weren't paved

      • JDtje
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
          what i do is pour the sugar in a big enough pan.
          while stirring slowly add water till it is covered with water.
          add citric acid / lemon juice for 12lbs sugar, bring to a boil stirring trough it and shimmer for the next half hour.

          Greets

          JackD

          8/24/2011, you wrote:

          > >I am interested in
          trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
          > >the MUM mash but
          can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
          > >or know where I
          can get it? Thanks

          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5

          > Derek
          > I've traveled a long
          way
          > And some of the roads weren't paved

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
            Message
            Why measure in cups?  Sugar is sold by the pound (or kilo).

            --

            Brendan Keith

            bkeith@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2011
              I am just following the directions on the recipe linked below that calls for inverting the sugar at the rate of 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. I am assuming that all 12 lbs of the sugar need to be done this way but just wanted to confirm. Thanks
              Alli

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                OK folks, I finally got around to trying the below linked recipe and it is as close to perfect as I have been able to get - still not quite there but much better than anything else so far. The middle cuts have almost no smell and very little bite. Any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate the slight unpleasant taste issue (other than Carbon which I am trying to stay away from). Thanks everyone for your help.

                Alli

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                > At 03:28 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
                > >

                > >I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
                > >the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
                > >or know where I can get it? Thanks
                >
                > Ta Da!
                >

                > Derek
                > I've traveled a long way
                > And some of the roads weren't paved

              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                  Alli,

                  I'm assuming you do a stripping run and a spirit run? If so, have you tried adding sodium bicarbonate to your low wines, before the spirit run?

                  Any bicarb at all will help, but try ~1Tbsp per gallon.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Thanks ZB. You reminded me that I need to go back and read your book again, or parts of it anyway.
                    Alli