JEM

  • Alli
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
      I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe or know where I can get it? Thanks
      Alli
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
        At 03:28 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:

        >I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
        >the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
        >or know where I can get it? Thanks

        Ta Da!

        Derek
        I've traveled a long way
        And some of the roads weren't paved
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
          Speaking of Jim, seems he's done the Waldo thing again.

          =========================
        • Alli
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
            Not sure if this question is for Derek or Waldo. Being a Newbe I want to get it right. The recipe calls for 12 lbs of sugar. I assume that 2 cups is roughly 1 lb. Do all 12 lbs (24 cups) need to be inverted? thanks
            alli

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

            > At 03:28 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
            > >

            > >I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
            > >the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
            > >or know where I can get it? Thanks
            >
            > Ta Da!
            >

            > Derek
            > I've traveled a long way
            > And some of the roads weren't paved

          • JDtje
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
              what i do is pour the sugar in a big enough pan.
              while stirring slowly add water till it is covered with water.
              add citric acid / lemon juice for 12lbs sugar, bring to a boil stirring trough it and shimmer for the next half hour.

              Greets

              JackD

              8/24/2011, you wrote:

              > >I am interested in
              trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
              > >the MUM mash but
              can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
              > >or know where I
              can get it? Thanks

              href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/app/recipes2/entry/view/e4b07a8e-b1ca-449e-81b2-627685c76ee5

              > Derek
              > I've traveled a long
              way
              > And some of the roads weren't paved

            • Brendan Keith
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 25, 2011
                Message
                Why measure in cups?  Sugar is sold by the pound (or kilo).

                --

                Brendan Keith

                bkeith@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26, 2011
                  I am just following the directions on the recipe linked below that calls for inverting the sugar at the rate of 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. I am assuming that all 12 lbs of the sugar need to be done this way but just wanted to confirm. Thanks
                  Alli

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                    OK folks, I finally got around to trying the below linked recipe and it is as close to perfect as I have been able to get - still not quite there but much better than anything else so far. The middle cuts have almost no smell and very little bite. Any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate the slight unpleasant taste issue (other than Carbon which I am trying to stay away from). Thanks everyone for your help.

                    Alli

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                    > At 03:28 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
                    > >

                    > >I am interested in trying Jim's Energy Mash that is a variation of
                    > >the MUM mash but can't find it online. Does anyone have the recipe
                    > >or know where I can get it? Thanks
                    >
                    > Ta Da!
                    >

                    > Derek
                    > I've traveled a long way
                    > And some of the roads weren't paved

                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 21, 2011
                      Alli,

                      I'm assuming you do a stripping run and a spirit run? If so, have you tried adding sodium bicarbonate to your low wines, before the spirit run?

                      Any bicarb at all will help, but try ~1Tbsp per gallon.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 2, 2011
                        Thanks ZB. You reminded me that I need to go back and read your book again, or parts of it anyway.
                        Alli