sorghum rum

  • Chris Jude
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2011
      Folks,

      I'm new to the list.  I've run a few batches with friends, and this year am growing my second crop of sweet sorghum for syrup.  Last year we fermented about 30 gallons and ran it through a simple reflux still.  The result was not bad, but I think we didn't do a great job of seperating the heads, tails and hearts.  The rum has a bit too much bite to it even after being filtered in activated carbon.
      Has anyone else tried distilling from sorghum?  We just fermented the straight juice, didn't incorporate any cooked syrup, but this year i'm very interested in trying some variations, we have a whole acre to play with!

      Chris