Clean-up After a Run

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2011
      To All:

      I'm rather new. I have been running a reflux unit as well as a pot still for several months now. I've been doing rather well due primarily to the help of members of this group.

      I know how to clean a new unit with vinegar but I'm having issues with cleaning after a run. Maybe I'm over doing it but once I finish a run, primariy with my pot still, there is a disagreable odor inside the components and there is a greasy residue in some parts, especially the condenser worm. I clean it with a solution of Star-San, that's what I use to clean my wine making equipment. It leaves the copper very clean but it takes a lot of time. Am I over doing it? How should the copper be cleaned following a run?

      THanks,

      Tom
    • gavinflett
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
        I bet the greasy residue is the oils from the tails. When I finish a whiskey run in my potstill, I get this pearl coloured sheen all on the inside of the onion dome. If this sounds familiar then maybe that's the stuff that's greasing up your still.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomhawk412@...> wrote:

        > To All:
        >
        > I'm rather new. I have been running a reflux unit as well as a pot still for several months now. I've been doing rather well due primarily to the help of members of this group.
        >
        > I know how to clean a new unit with vinegar but I'm having issues with cleaning after a run. Maybe I'm over doing it but once I finish a run, primariy with my pot still, there is a disagreable odor inside the components and there is a greasy residue in some parts, especially the condenser worm. I clean it with a solution of Star-San, that's what I use to clean my wine making equipment. It leaves the copper very clean but it takes a lot of time. Am I over doing it? How should the copper be cleaned following a run?
        >
        > THanks,
        >
        > Tom

      • Tom
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
          Gavin,

          You're probably right. How do you remove it? As mentioned, I'm using Star-San to clean the crud out of my unit. It does the job but over time, it will get expensive.

          Tom

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gavinflett" <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

          > I bet the greasy residue is the oils from the tails.
          SNIP
        • Gavin Flett
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
            Honestly, I just wash it out with water right after I use it and use a scrub pad. After about 5 or so runs, I give it a good once over with the salt and vinegar solution and then scrub that with the green scrub pads used for cleaning pots and pans. I have a copper still, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, and I'm not even sure if this is the best prescribed method. I just use it because I have never had any trouble using these techniques.

            To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: tomhawk412@...
            Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 22:14:46 +0000
            Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Clean-up After a Run

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
              Gavin,

              My main issue is inside lyne arm and the worm. I just plug one end of the worm, fill it with Star-San solution and let it soak. I use a large plug and do the same with the lyne arm. Maybe I'm over killing it but the oily stuff stinks and I want to get rid of it.

              Thanks,

              Tom

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

              > Honestly, I just wash it out with water right after I use it.

              Snip
            • Gavin Flett
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
                Does it not come out with just a rinse?

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: tomhawk412@...
                Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:19:22 +0000

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
                  Gavin,

                  I rinse it and most of the crud is gone but the odor is still there and it's very strong so I use the Star-San.

                  Tom

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Gavin Flett <gavin_flett@...> wrote:

                  > Does it not come out with just a rinse?
                  >
                  >Snip
                • Shot Man
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
                    Hi Gavin,
                    I use antibacterial Dawn dish detergent. I clean my shell condenser like a shotgun. But no matter how clean I get it all, it still has a odor to it. Never tasted it in my drink though. I have a stainless boiler with all else being copper. I may distill some water in it one day just to see if something really does carry over.
                    Have a good one,
                    shotman