Thermometer on top of a reflux still

  • johnreid@abbeymoormedical.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
      Can the metal shaft of a digital thermometer be bent at a 45 degree in order to make it easier to read from floor level? Thought it wise to ask before destroying a perfectly servicable unit. Thanks.
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011

        You can try, but , the one I have has a hollow shaft and I think you could easily break it

        Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

        Can the metal shaft of a digital thermometer be bent at a 45 degree in order to make it easier to read from floor level? Thought it wise to ask before destroying a perfectly servicable unit. Thanks.

      • Mike Molag
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
          yes and that hollow shaft is filled with mercury posinous

          You can try, but , the one I have has a hollow shaft and I think you could easily break it

          Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

          Can the metal shaft of a digital thermometer be bent at a 45 degree in order to make it easier to read from floor level? Thought it wise to ask before destroying a perfectly servicable unit. Thanks.

        • jus me
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
            most have a bi metal spiran inside and would destroy it .

            You can try, but , the one I have has a hollow shaft and I think you could easily break it

            Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

            Can the metal shaft of a digital thermometer be bent at a 45 degree in order to make it easier to read from floor level? Thought it wise to ask before destroying a perfectly servicable unit. Thanks.

          • hgfkhyf
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
              Hi Guys
              I have been reading the posts with interest for some time and greatly enjoyed it.
              About the thermometer if its an analog type with a moving needle as said it will probably have a bi metal spiral inside but if its a digital electronic type it will have a thermocouple at the tip and the tube will contain wires in hi temperature ones the wires are bare and separated by a mineral powder these can be bent with care a gradual long bend is preferred but there is always a small risk of shorting or damaging the wires

              Great group Guys

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jus me <p_85_ruger@...> wrote:

              > most have a bi metal spiran inside and would destroy it .

            • Al Wells
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 24, 2011
                I made my living for 20+ years manufacturing these devices. Most
                inexpensive digital thermometers use a thermistor sensor. A thermistor
                is a tiny device with 2 small wires coming out of it, like a tiny
                resistor. Small gauge Teflon insulated wires are soldered to it, and
                the assembly is placed in a tube and secured with a little heat
                conductive cement. It is also secured somehow at the "cold end" of the
                tube, by potting or crimping. I would not bend one of these.

                More expensive ones use an RTD or a thermocouple (RTD's are the most
                accurate; thermocouples provide the fastest response time). An RTD is
                constructed in a tube much the same as a thermistor. Thermocouples can
                be made many ways, but in most consumer type devices, it is not the
                mineral insulated stuff that someone else described. It is most likely
                just 2 insulated wires that are welded into the tip. Since they are
                also soldered into the thermometer, I would not bend these either.

                If you have a mineral insulated thermocouple, you can do pretty much
                whatever you want to it without hurting it.
              • johnreid@abbeymoormedical.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 25, 2011
                  Given the importance of temperature monitoring, reading a thermometer at about 9ft off the ground is tough. Throw in tri-focals and it becomes quite a challange.
                  I will not bend the digital thermometer, but will consider purchasing a wireless remote reader and keep it at eye level.
                  Thanks again.
                  John