Very small scale Alcohol production

  • regal de silva
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11 2:08 AM
      Sir,

      I am a 77 yeard old man.  I have been drinking for the last 60 years as a moderate drinker.  The most popular drink in Sri Lanka is called arrack made from coconut toddy obtained from coconut trees  Now a bottle of arrack of the cheapest quality is about US$7/- but government tax is very high about 70%! Tobbaco and Liquor tax are huge revenues to the government.
      Due to high price, the illegal trade (moonshine) is laer than the legal trade and large numbers of people suffer from various alments due to poisonous stuff, as the poor resort the worst stuff moonshine.

      It occurred to me that I should DIY !  I am clueless about this distilling business although I know there are safe methods to do so.  My requirement is about 1 bottle of spirits per week, but I do not know how many bottles I can make from a spirit bottle.  My consumption is invariably 1/4 bottle or less every eveniong daily.

      I have seen many web sites and I find it difficult to grasp everything, and I find the literature/methods.designs are too advanced for my liking, besides the apparatus for over the counter purchase is not avilable in Sri Lanka as well as  the know how is not accessible like in America. A friend in Amderica downloaded for me a book on distillation at home via Partyman.org. I have to tread carefully as it is illegal to indulge in this business.

      So with this introduction, I wish to seek your help which I will state as followw.

      I will use a 4 lier pressure cooker, lpg gas for heating, coil arranghement and a simple method to cool with water in and out through a condenser arrangement.  I have seen a similar gadget in a web site.

      I do not know how I should pre4pare the "mash" in what proportions.  I can always use bannas as it is easily available, what about the other ingredients and the process required before it is set to boil.

      Can please some one help me with a small design, and also how I should handle the entire process of heating and obtaining the liquor, eliminating the "methonal" io the first run?

      Perhaps with experience, I can be a little more adpet at this busioness of home made liquor, which if done well is better than the coconut arrack sold by the legal trade.

      Thanks also for your e mails to me on this subject and with best regards

      Regal Silva
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11 11:11 AM
        Regal,

        With a very little ingenuity and effort you can do it yourself! The
        4-liter pressure cooker and water-cooled copper coil will work fine for
        you.

        To create the alcohol, all you need is some kind of sugar, brought
        together with yeast (either wild or purchased) and nutrients (often in
        the sugar-bearing material) in a clean jug/jar/pot/bucket with a loose
        clean cloth over the top to keep the larger critters out. If you can
        find some arrack distillers, see what they are using for the sweet juice
        (could be coconut, palm sugar, or any other fruit), and if the stuff
        ferments without adding yeast. That means that the substance has wild
        yeast on it, usually on the skins.

        In Thailand's climate, I'm guessing fermentation should be done in less
        than a week, and you'll be able to test for completion by tasting; if
        it's still sweet, fermentation isn't complete, or maybe didn't start.

        Put 3 liters of that ferment into your 4-liter pot and bring to a very
        slow boil carefully. That will (hopefully) prevent puking juice through
        the condenser. It's no biggy on your first still run, but it's something
        you need to learn to deal with. If you discard the first ~30 ml of
        distillate, you'll be getting rid of most of the nastiest-tasting stuff
        in the spirit, ethyl acetate and acetone, mostly, but maybe a dab of
        natural methanol (which is never a problem unless you tip the methanol
        can into your spirit, a crazy thing to do, but the legend comes from
        crazy people during America's prohibition).

        Continue collecting distillate until it tastes weak and musty, a bit
        like wet cardboard, and then stop collecting. You can drink the stuff at
        this point, but you may find it more pleasant if you collect a few
        batches, mix then together, and run them through the still again. This
        time, if you're very careful applying heat at first, you can fill the
        boiler a bit more and still avoid puking.

        On this second run, the "spirit" run, collect the distillate in several
        small cups/jars/glasses and keep track of what was first, second, and so
        on. You'll probably find the some of the first containers don't taste as
        good as you'd like, and may give you hangovers, and the last ones will
        taste of wet cardboard.

        In between those first containers (foreshots and head) and the last
        (tails) you should taste some pretty nice stuff, and we call that the
        "hearts". It'll be way too strong to drink, so you'll want to dilute it
        with water to get the proof you like. Drink 1/4 liter of that a day, and
        live long and prosper. Oh, and don't use lead solder in your vapor path.

        Come back and tell us how it went and learn how to make it better.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, regal de silva <silvax321@...>
        wrote:

        > Sir,
        >
        > I am a 77 yeard old man. I have been drinking for the last 60 years
        as a moderate drinker. The most popular drink in Sri Lanka is called
        arrack made from coconut toddy obtained from coconut trees Now a bottle
        of arrack of the cheapest quality is about US$7/- but government tax is
        very high about 70%! Tobbaco and Liquor tax are huge revenues to the
        government.
        > Due to high price, the illegal trade (moonshine) is laer than the
        legal trade and large numbers of people suffer from various alments due
        to poisonous stuff, as the poor resort the worst stuff moonshine.

        > It occurred to me that I should DIY ! I am clueless about this
        distilling business although I know there are safe methods to do so. My
        requirement is about 1 bottle of spirits per week, but I do not know how
        many bottles I can make from a spirit bottle. My consumption is
        invariably 1/4 bottle or less every eveniong daily.

        > I have seen many web sites and I find it difficult to grasp
        everything, and I find the literature/methods.designs are too advanced
        for my liking, besides the apparatus for over the counter purchase is
        not avilable in Sri Lanka as well as the know how is not accessible
        like in America. A friend in Amderica downloaded for me a book on
        distillation at home via Partyman.org. I have to tread carefully as it
        is illegal to indulge in this business.

        > So with this introduction, I wish to seek your help which I will state
        as followw.

        > I will use a 4 lier pressure cooker, lpg gas for heating, coil
        arranghement and a simple method to cool with water in and out through a
        condenser arrangement. I have seen a similar gadget in a web site.

        > I do not know how I should pre4pare the "mash" in what proportions. I
        can always use bannas as it is easily available, what about the other
        ingredients and the process required before it is set to boil.

        > Can please some one help me with a small design, and also how I should
        handle the entire process of heating and obtaining the liquor,
        eliminating the "methonal" io the first run?

        > Perhaps with experience, I can be a little more adpet at this
        busioness of home made liquor, which if done well is better than the
        coconut arrack sold by the legal trade.

        > Thanks also for your e mails to me on this subject and with best
        regards

        > Regal Silva

      • regal de silva
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12 12:02 AM
          Dear Bob

          I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response so quickly and thanks for your interest in my inquiry.

          Being new to the subject, I need to study it well!  I may revert again to clear some doubts/points.  So I will go through your mail many times first to get the hang of what to do.

          It may take some time as i want to do it yourself,  So the first thing is to assemble the pot still, and the most expensive item for me is the gas cylinder plus the stove to place the pot still.

          Thanks very much for your continued advice and with best regards