Tuning reflux still

  • joeyalbertus
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2011
      I'm trying out my Mile High reflux still for the first time by running my first distillate from my last reflux still (so this will be this liquor's second run). I started with about 2 liters of 70% (measured with alcoholometer) and added a gallon of water. I'm boiling in a full sized keg with propane, and have a very steady temp at the top of 79-80 degrees. What should I expect as far as a drip rate? It seems achingly slow at the moment, probably an average of a drip every three seconds, but sometimes speeds up for a while and gets almost to a stream before slowing way down again. My cooling water is in a five gallon bucket that I change regularly. How much does the temperature of the cooling water effect the rate? Thanks!