Re: No go fermentation

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
      Hi Other Bob,

      If you got a final gravity of .990, your ferment finished nicely and everything worked fine. Since your wash (from your starting sugar concentration numbers) probably was close to 17% ABV, that translates to a starting wash boiling point of (all very roughly) 90C, so if you are running a potstill, you should see a head temperature of 90C when the ethanol starts coming off.  Because your wash is not a simple mixture of ethanol and water, but contains so low-boiling congeners, you can often expect a few drops to come across before 90C, but it'll be some nasty stuff. I suspect that's what you are seeing, and it means you're still doing fine.

      I made the assumption from your statement "before anything came out" that you were running a potstill. Hope I got that right.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Dobinns <bbbob@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for that, i found out i left the air trap of but i dont know how far it went, final sg was 990
      > the reason i thought something was up was it went up to 85deg in the still before anything came out.....bbbob

    • Bob Dobinns
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2011
        The wash tasts sour and sweet,the 400ml that came out before i tuned it of is 33abv, and i run a reflux still 50mmx1meter high column  on 50lt keg ,I might just warm it up and put some bakers yeast in and hope for the best, what do you think.
         BBBOB