Hot water heater boiler

  • joeyalbertus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      Has anyone successfully converted a hot water heater into a boiling vessel? I am reading "Making Gin and Vodka" by John Stone and he makes a pretty good argument for it. It seems as though it would be pretty easy and much more energy efficient. I would be running it with my reflux still. Anyone done this with good results?
    • stillyaakman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeyalbertus" <joeyalbertus@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone successfully converted a hot water heater into a boiling vessel? I am reading "Making Gin and Vodka" by John Stone and he makes a pretty good argument for it. It seems as though it would be pretty easy and much more energy efficient. I would be running it with my reflux still. Anyone done this with good results?

        Hi,
        I've used a converted water heater for a boiler and it did a great job.
        You need to use a wash that's been settled out well.
        It was fairly easy to do the conversion took me about an evening to do; the column was more time consuming. I would recommend a water heater boiler if you want to produce a neutral spirit.
      • Joe Albert
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2011
          What all did you have to do to it exactly?  I have a still tower from Mike High already, so I guess all I need is to wire up the boiler properly.