No go fermentation

  • bbbob194713
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
      Can somone help me i have 40lts ferment i thought was going well (all sugar,7gks in a 20lt ferment tub with turbo yeast x 2) it bubbled to start with and stopped, My question is can i reuse this and pitch some more yeast and go again first time this has happened
      Thanks.
      BBBOB
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
        BBBOB,

        I'm not quite sure about that 40 liter batch in a 20 liter fermenter, but I'll assume it's really a 20 liter batch. Since your sugar concentration shouldn't be pushing a good turbo too hard, I'd look at initial oxygenation and temperature for the problem.

        Was your wash cold and aerated before you pitched the yeast? Is ther a chance that the wash generated enough heat to kill the yeast? Turbos can do that under some conditions. If the yeast dies from overheating, I'd agitate the wash to aerate it, take the specific gravity to make sure it's not some crazy number (adjust with water if necessary) and add yeast ONLY. Turbos are a mixture of yeast and nutrients, and you've got plenty of nutrients already from the last batch of turbo.

        When it "bubbled to start with", do we know how far the ferment progressed, as in what specific gravity did it make it to?

        These are just some places to start looking.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@...> wrote:

        > Can somone help me i have 40lts ferment i thought was going well (all sugar,7gks in a 20lt ferment tub with turbo yeast x 2) it bubbled to start with and stopped, My question is can i reuse this and pitch some more yeast and go again first time this has happened
        > Thanks.
        > BBBOB

      • Bob Dobinns
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
          Thanks for that, i found out i left the air trap of but i dont know how far it went, final sg was 990
          the reason i thought something was up was it went up to 85deg in the still before anything came out.....bbbob

          I'm not quite sure about that 40 liter batch in a 20 liter fermenter, but I'll assume it's really a 20 liter batch. Since your sugar concentration shouldn't be pushing a good turbo too hard, I'd look at initial oxygenation and temperature for the problem.

          Was your wash cold and aerated before you pitched the yeast? Is ther a chance that the wash generated enough heat to kill the yeast? Turbos can do that under some conditions. If the yeast dies from overheating, I'd agitate the wash to aerate it, take the specific gravity to make sure it's not some crazy number (adjust with water if necessary) and add yeast ONLY. Turbos are a mixture of yeast and nutrients, and you've got plenty of nutrients already from the last batch of turbo.

          When it "bubbled to start with", do we know how far the ferment progressed, as in what specific gravity did it make it to?

          These are just some places to start looking.

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@...> wrote:

          > Can somone help me i have 40lts ferment i thought was going well (all sugar,7gks in a 20lt ferment tub with turbo yeast x 2) it bubbled to start with and stopped, My question is can i reuse this and pitch some more yeast and go again first time this has happened
          > Thanks.
          > BBBOB

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2011
            Hi Other Bob,

            If you got a final gravity of .990, your ferment finished nicely and everything worked fine. Since your wash (from your starting sugar concentration numbers) probably was close to 17% ABV, that translates to a starting wash boiling point of (all very roughly) 90C, so if you are running a potstill, you should see a head temperature of 90C when the ethanol starts coming off.  Because your wash is not a simple mixture of ethanol and water, but contains so low-boiling congeners, you can often expect a few drops to come across before 90C, but it'll be some nasty stuff. I suspect that's what you are seeing, and it means you're still doing fine.

            I made the assumption from your statement "before anything came out" that you were running a potstill. Hope I got that right.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bob Dobinns <bbbob@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for that, i found out i left the air trap of but i dont know how far it went, final sg was 990
            > the reason i thought something was up was it went up to 85deg in the still before anything came out.....bbbob

          • Bob Dobinns
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2011
              The wash tasts sour and sweet,the 400ml that came out before i tuned it of is 33abv, and i run a reflux still 50mmx1meter high column  on 50lt keg ,I might just warm it up and put some bakers yeast in and hope for the best, what do you think.
               BBBOB