Re: Pear Distillate

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2011
      James,

      All MFL does is covert most of the lactic acid in wine to malic acid
      which is much smoother then the lactic acid. You can try doing a second
      distillation, but it might be better to first try aging on oak for a few
      months and see if the harshness goes away before attempting a second
      distillation.

      JB. aka Waldo.

      James wrote:

      I distilled about 75 liters of pear cider that I had fermented last
      year. I used
      a reflux still. While the cider was maturing it was exposed to some air
      and
      became oxidized and I am pretty sure that it underwent maloactic
      fermentation in
      several cases and may have been tainted by acetic acid bacteria in
      others (it
      was in four separate carboys). I tasted each before distilling and they
      ranged
      from drinkable to stale flavors of wet cardboard.

      During distillation I got fairly clean beaks and was judicious cutting
      my
      foreshots, heads and tails so feel pretty good about removing the
      methanol and
      fusels but upon tasting the product diluted down to 80 proof it still
      seems sort
      of harsh. Can acetyl acetate formed by malo actic be converted into
      anything
      especially nasty? I'd like to keep some of the pear flavor that made it
      thru
      distillation. I may just do a second distillation on the whole batch to
      clean
      it up. Any other suggestions?
      Thanks.