Re: SMELLS LIKE RUBBING ALCOHOL

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      Adam,

      Need more info on you recipe / yeast / fermentation and distilling
      technique and type of still before we could begin to answer this
      question.

      Thanks,

      JB. aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

      > My sugar vodka always smells like rubbing alcohol. Am I correct in
      thinking Turbo yeast makes more propanol than ethanol? Or am I just
      running my temperature too high? Taste is ok but smells like dam
      denatured Malcolm /:(

    • Adam Fordham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011

        Running a reflux still. My temp at the top of my column stays a rock steady 174 f should be no propanol sneaking thru right? Temp squirly at the beginning and at the end so I cut those jars out. But still that rubbing alkyhol smell. So I'm at a loss. Or obsessed lol. Certainly passionate anyhow. I get 186 proof or higher so any thoughts would be appreciated ;)

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        Need more info on you recipe / yeast / fermentation and distilling
        technique and type of still before we could begin to answer this
        question.

        Thanks,

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

        > My sugar vodka always smells like rubbing alcohol. Am I correct in
        thinking Turbo yeast makes more propanol than ethanol? Or am I just
        running my temperature too high? Taste is ok but smells like dam
        denatured Malcolm /:(

      • geoff burrows
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
          Are you collecting through plastic hoseing or in a non food grade vessel?