SMELLS LIKE RUBBING ALCOHOL

  • adam
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      My sugar vodka always smells like rubbing alcohol. Am I correct in thinking Turbo yeast makes more propanol than ethanol? Or am I just running my temperature too high? Taste is ok but smells like dam denatured Malcolm /:(
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        Adam,

        Need more info on you recipe / yeast / fermentation and distilling
        technique and type of still before we could begin to answer this
        question.

        Thanks,

        JB. aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

        > My sugar vodka always smells like rubbing alcohol. Am I correct in
        thinking Turbo yeast makes more propanol than ethanol? Or am I just
        running my temperature too high? Taste is ok but smells like dam
        denatured Malcolm /:(

      • Adam Fordham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011

          Running a reflux still. My temp at the top of my column stays a rock steady 174 f should be no propanol sneaking thru right? Temp squirly at the beginning and at the end so I cut those jars out. But still that rubbing alkyhol smell. So I'm at a loss. Or obsessed lol. Certainly passionate anyhow. I get 186 proof or higher so any thoughts would be appreciated ;)

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Need more info on you recipe / yeast / fermentation and distilling
          technique and type of still before we could begin to answer this
          question.

          Thanks,

          JB. aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

          > My sugar vodka always smells like rubbing alcohol. Am I correct in
          thinking Turbo yeast makes more propanol than ethanol? Or am I just
          running my temperature too high? Taste is ok but smells like dam
          denatured Malcolm /:(

        • geoff burrows
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2011
            Are you collecting through plastic hoseing or in a non food grade vessel?