RE: [new_distillers] IF YOU PURCHASED A MILEHIGH STILL READ THIS

  • Tom Brohamer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27, 2011

      I’m new to all of this, and have a MileHi Reflux still that I have used 4 times now. Would love to discuss tips and tricks.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2011
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "adam" <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

        > I own two stills from MileHigh and wanna open a dialogue with Anyone who wants to discuss what they think about them...how you run yours etc. Maybe we can learn from one another.

        i just got one and have just had my second run this past weekend with mixed results.
      • rebeletoh
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 23, 2011
          I love mine. Granted, I'm a newbie and haven't conversed with others regarding their set ups. Mine likes to run a bit cold (at least that's what my thermo says) but I'm consistently getting ~93% with I think 5 rolls of copper from bottom up and a bit of rasching (sp?) Rings to about 2 inches below the drip stem. Haven't tried using as a pot still yet but as reflux (with electric heat) I'm getting maybe 1-1.5L/hr. I rearranged the packing a while ago and quickly decided to return it to its previous state. Other than that, I get a good product...
        • Adam Fordham
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 24, 2011

            I like both of my Mile hi stills. I gave up using the hot plate and switched to propane though. I get the highest purity using the copper and ratchet ring combo same as you.

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 24, 2011

              How is the harshness of your product. I'm curious as to the temps, time your run takes, etc. I have found that my sugar Turbo yeast washes tend to burn the throat and warm the stomach. The flavor is mostly nuetral but sometimes has an earthieness after taste. It may be my cuts or maybe the yeast or even my temps. When I pack my coloum copper and ratchet rings I run 12 hours or so. Divide into pints or quarts. I mix samples with water and cut based on taste and smell. I find my temp will rise then get a little squirrely then hold rock steady for hours. Then it will get squirrely again and start to slowly climb throughout the tails.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              I love mine. Granted, I'm a newbie and haven't conversed with others regarding their set ups. Mine likes to run a bit cold (at least that's what my thermo says) but I'm consistently getting ~93% with I think 5 rolls of copper from bottom up and a bit of rasching (sp?) Rings to about 2 inches below the drip stem. Haven't tried using as a pot still yet but as reflux (with electric heat) I'm getting maybe 1-1.5L/hr. I rearranged the packing a while ago and quickly decided to return it to its previous state. Other than that, I get a good product...

            • tim smith
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 24, 2011
                Hi...  what column are you using from mile high...they hvae several types

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 24, 2011

                  I mostly beer strip in my larger still Its a 3 inch diameter with an internal reflux jacket. Coloumn comes in 2 parts. I don't use the lower coloum or reflux just the condenser on the outlet. Do my spirit run thru a 2 inch diameter coloum on my smaller pot. Have been mostly using as a pot still in my ongoing attempt at smooth whiskey lol. Recently did a run with a packed coloumn keeping the reflux poor to see if that will make a smoother juice.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 25, 2011
                    I have the basic(?) 2" reflux column that's one pieceand sits on an 8 gal pot. I'm not sure if my thermo is way off or its my placement but it LOVES to run at 170.4F. Usually a first run from a 6 gallon sugar wash (Cain sugar and Turbo) at about 15% abv takes about 2hrs to heat up and maybe 4-5 hours to pull everything out. I use the 1500 Watt heat plate,and it works fine but seems to be a bit under powered at times. I can usually pull about 5ish liters off the wash.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

                    > Hi...  what column are you using from mile high...they hvae several types
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • David Lail
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011
                      I have the 2" column also, the youtube video mike made says 170 degree is normal for high elevations and 174 at sea level. I'm going to run mine for the first time this week. My question is, do you take all the copper and rings out when you are done or do you just run some water thru it to clean it out?

                      Dave
                    • Adam Fordham
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011

                        My 8 gal runs at lower temp when the coloum I'd packed too. I'm at sea level using the hotplate that came with the kit took me almost 4 hrs to heat up. I switched to propane and get better results.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011

                          Depends. I don't always. Usually I take out the bottom copper and boil it to clean it. I have had washes that didn't really foul up the mesh. Sometimes it will be really dark and strong smelling sometimes not so much. When I first began and was useing turbos and sugar I cleaned every time. Another thing is I do beer stripping runs first now and that seems to make my spirit runs cleaner so I clean less.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011
                            I usually just run water thru the column after the run...I had a surge boil happen once so after that the copper was all kinds of dirty. I removed the packing, rinced with water then soaked them in white vinegar for a couple hours. Got em all nice and shiney again. So far, they've gone through 15-20 runs (both stripping and for high quality) and they are holding up alright. Ill probably get some more packing just to have it ready for when I need to replace it.