RE: [new_distillers] Re: Grain mash

  • Tom Cowdrey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2011

      Bob,

      Thanks for the explanation.

      From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:new_distillers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tgfoitwoods
      Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:57 AM
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Grain mash

      Pop Larkin on the Artisan Distillers forum has done quite a bit with fresh, frozen and canned corn, mostly roasted to increase and improve the flavor of a sugar-wash spirit.

      Of course, if you are using enzymes (malt of amylase) to convert the starches in the corn to sugar, the amount of sugar in the corn is immaterial.  If you don't convert the corn starches (including yeast-starch conversion in a sour-mash process), there's very little reason to make liquor out of corn, except for perhaps a bit of flavor.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simplepotstiller

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shedhouse662" <tocowdrey3@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone ever tried fresh corn just off the cob in their wash? It should have more sugar in it than dried/cracked corn.

    • billy.turf
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi all,

        I really want to brew a grain based wort i have a shop closeby http://www.brouwland.com/en/ i would like to make rye, when i look at the shop website under brewing there are dozens of different malted grains, toasted, caramel, even something called chocolate, there are flakes and extracts as well. I have not really been able to find the grain bills. I get the cooking and sparging bit, but what amounts of which grains.

        I am completly confused about what grains in what forms to use. I have looked through alot of sites, but i am missing rye recepies, lots of corn stuff and a bit of grain with a load of suger, but i woud like to try just grain.

        Could someone please send me off in the right direction, or is there good reason not to do just grain? Is it better to use corn and sugar and a bit of grain?

        Thanks
        Billy
      • Alex Netherton
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          What grain? All grass family seeds (oats, rye, barley, wheat, rice, even corn), are grains. A mash bill with mostly rye makes a whiskey by that name. Barley is used for scotch. Wheat is often added to a mash bill for Bourbon to smooth it out, rye to spice it up. Barley can be added for flavor. To make Bourbon, it must be 51% corn. Pure rye or barley can be used for a special type of drink. Just jump in. Any of those can be used to make a type of beer; the old timers liked to drink the beer (wort) of their product almost as much as the distillate.
          Try pure rye.
          Then try pure barley.
          Mix the two in the mash bill.
          Then try corn with the others in the mash.
          Try different combinations.
          Keep good notes.
          Alex Netherton
          Blue Ridge Discovery

          On 3/2/2013 4:44 PM, billy.turf wrote:

[...]

        • M L
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            Hey billy, Allow me to interject.If you were to look at "The Modern Distiller" site for instance, there's a section called "Recipes". From there go to 100 % proven.There is one for 100 % Malt all grain whiskey.And one called "Rockchucker Rye" .That is 60% Malted Rye, 20% malted barley, and 20% corn.Just to name a few .Also Home Distillation of Alcohol has a very nice site with links to other use full sites on the  subject.