?? Attachments ??

  • juanmorcheesey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2002
      Off Topic....

      How come many of the messages have attachment icons when there
      are no attachments ??
      ?? emasculated viruses ??

      Thanx to evry body for their participation in this group.
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
        On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 04:44:57 -0000
        "juanmorcheesey" <Juanmorcheesy@...> wrote:

        > Off Topic....
        >
        > How come many of the messages have attachment icons when there
        > are no attachments ??
        > ?? emasculated viruses ?

        Not viruses, they are in fact the result of the convention known as
        'Multi-part mail". Certain poorly designed email clients (read: MS
        Outlook) insist upon sending redundant plain-text and HTML versions of the
        same mail; the HTML version makes its appearance as an attachment. Not
        only is this an annoyance to anyone who does not use an HTML-enabled email
        client, it more than DOUBLES the network (read: Internet) bandwidth
        required to send simple email. It is a thoughtless waste of our collective
        time & resources.

        It is a pointless and inconsiderate behavior, and honestly, I'd like to
        see it disappear from this list. Thanks for asking.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • Robert Stam
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002

          Hi, this is a problem easily solved if people send their emails using plain text instead of HTML. If you recieve a MIME email in HTML and your email client is not able to decipher the HTML content, it just displays the text version and shows the HTML version as an attachment.

          Just ask people not to send you HTML emails, or get MS Outlook or some other MIME capable client.

          Cheers, Rob

          If you received a security warning on reading this email, please go to <http://www.bopdhb.govt.nz/CertEnroll/settings.htm>

          Robert Stam: Project Manager
          Information Technology, Pacific Health Limited
          Tauranga, New Zealand
          Ph. 5798804
          Fax 5779734

             How come many of the messages have attachment icons when there
                are no attachments ??
                    ??  emasculated viruses  ??

              Thanx to evry body for their participation in this group.

          Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is privileged and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.

        • John M
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
            i think its some of the ad's that come with these messages from yahoo. Damn marketing!

            JM

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
              On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 19:49:10 -0500
              "John M" <Coppertube@...> wrote:

              > i think its some of the ad's that come with these messages from yahoo.
              > Damn marketing!

              No, it's definitely the default behavior of the originating MUA (email
              client). The yahoo! marketing BS is appended to both the HTML & plain-text
              versions of the mail.

              HTML is for the web - not email.

              -- Dr. M. Legendre