Re: copper or stainless mesh?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "MonteK" <mlkreps69@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, i was wondering if there is a differnence between using copper mesh or stainless. I'm just running sugar washes through a 2" stainless tower. I was using copper, but made my first run with stainless, and it didn't turn ou well(but that mite have been me). Also how often do i need to change it, or clean it? Thanks for your help

      No physical difference between the two. But there's a chemical difference. Copper mesh removes sulfides from your product, S/S mesh does not. That's why your 1st run 'didn't turn ou well'.

      If you have an all-stainless rig, put some copper mesh in the vapour path somewhere, like 1/2 the column packing. Hotwater backflush the column immediately after finishing your run. If storing for a while between runs (more than a week) pull the copper mesh and airdry or ovendry it.

      Many of us go the opposite route. Copper column and s/s mesh packing. Best of both worlds.

    • azeo2
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2011
        and for experience, copper mesh experiences galvanic corrosion in a stainless still, so as Harry says, stainless mesh inside copper, or copper mesh inside copper works best. cleaning as Harry says works best.

        also define "not working well" if not working well means cabbagy or sulphide odor coming through, then its as harry says, no copper to react with. If its reflux control, or back-pressure/proof/output purity problems, then there are other things to look at, like how tightly packed the mesh is (or loosley), whether is "structured/knitted" mesh, or postscrubbers (which need to be pulled apart abit) and the power input to column etc. 2" (and sometimes stainless, this means OD, not I/D so its even a bit smaller internally than thout) can only handle a certain input power, roughly over 1.5kW in to the boiler can be starting to push it, although many poeple have things optimised well enough to run more than this... especially if boilers aren't insulated. Is the column insulated too btw? hope that's some more food for thought :)
        azeo